News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rail joiners on ez track

Started by Wdale42, February 07, 2013, 08:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wdale42

How do you remove a rail joiner without breaking the track? I can use some help,please.

BIG DAVE

YOU DONT EASILY ON THE 1 SIDE.  IF YOU,LL NOTICE THE FACTORY INSTALLED COUPLER IS SPOT WELDED ON. IF YOU TRY TO REMOVE IT, IT WILL RUIN THE TRACK. IF YOU HAVE TO REMOVE IT JUST TURN THAT PIECE OVER AND TAKE YOUR DREMELL AND CUT THOUGH THE WELD AND IT WILL COME OFF..

NarrowMinded

This same subject came up a month or two ago. if you scroll down there is s link to a video I made showing how easy it is.

follow this link to previous posts
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21790.msg173512.html#msg173512

Nm-Jeff

Doneldon

Wd-

The manufacturer uses some kind of tack to hold the rail joiners to the rails. I don't think it's a welding process, more like a crimp. I suppose it doesn't matter which when you go to remove one and it tries to stay in place.

I've found that using a hobby blade to loosen the sides of the offending rail joiner and them giving a slight twist while pulling it straight out from the end of the rail works fine. Be careful with how much you twist and how hard you pull before the piece comes off or you can damage the track. It's possible to pull the rail out lengthwise; in that case just slide it back in. It's also possible to pull the rail up from under its plastic "spike" heads. This can be repaired, too, since it's unusual that more than a couple of spike heads will get damaged. Should it happen, carefully reseat the rail in its channel on top of the ties. You usually don't have to worry about fixing it in position because your new rail joiner will hold it in gauge. A little glue will fix things if you do pull up a lot.

Most of all, don't worry about this process or try to save the rail joiner. You'll soon learn to do this without damage to your track and
you'll be willing to sacrifice a rail joiner in the interest of easy removal without damage.

-- D