Tsunami dcc/sound going in the bachmann GP40 dcc onboard- a question?

Started by Burlington Route, February 07, 2013, 10:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlington Route

My GP40 came with dcc on board...no sound. I have the TSU-AT1000 Tsunami dcc/sound board to go in but I see the two resistors down by the motor and have to wonder if those stay or get removed...those were there with the bachman dcc...when this one is done I have an SD40-2 with dcc/ob that needs sound too...both engines are On30 chassis projects.

Some of you may question the EMD 567 choice, but it was my 7yr old son who picked it out because he liked the sound....what am I gonna do...say no?

Doneldon

Burl-

So you got the test bed with the EMD 567 in a GP40! ElectroMotive
decided it was the wrong engine for that loco but I'll bet they gave
you a great price on that orphan.

-- D

Burlington Route

LOL...well, the boy and I were listening to the sound samples over at soundtrax and he liked that one for the engine.....I'll get to choose for the next one{SD40-2}...then to figure out what to use for the On30 davenport and rail bus.

richg

Quote from: Burlington Route on February 07, 2013, 10:54:20 PM
My GP40 came with dcc on board...no sound. I have the TSU-AT1000 Tsunami dcc/sound board to go in but I see the two resistors down by the motor and have to wonder if those stay or get removed...those were there with the bachman dcc...when this one is done I have an SD40-2 with dcc/ob that needs sound too...both engines are On30 chassis projects.

Some of you may question the EMD 567 choice, but it was my 7yr old son who picked it out because he liked the sound....what am I gonna do...say no?
[/quote

Those are not resistors, they should be inductors. That setup sounds different than what I have seen before.
Usually the inductors are on the PC board and some locos have the capacitors on the motor. If the two items are yellow, they are capacitors.  Many have what looks like two green resistors on the PC board. Some have two long devices with very thin wire wrapped around them which are inductors.
Bachmann uses a tuned circuit that consist of two inductors and one to three capacitors to filter out certain frequencies required by the EU.

Rich

Jerrys HO

So Rich are you saying the capacitors are really not needed? I was also wondering this because I have two Plus models that don't have them and and two newer regular DCC on board that does and was wanting to add the flywheels and motor from the Plus units to the newer on board units. I posted this in another post FA & FB units in HO forum but did not get a solution. Was hoping you would chime in.

Thanks Jerry

richg

I belong to a bunch of train forums and the users remove the capacitors. Many have experienced poor slow speed action with the capacitors in place. I have seen thee same discussion in the Bachmann forums.
You can always do a Google search for, Bachmann DCC capacitors. You will get many hits.

Rich

Burlington Route

I'll snap a pic of her this afternoon, but I'm pretty sire they're resistors and not caps.

richg

Quote from: Burlington Route on February 10, 2013, 08:28:46 AM
I'll snap a pic of her this afternoon, but I'm pretty sire they're resistors and not caps.

If they are a yellow blob with two wires coming out of them, a cap. If tubular and green with tiny stripes round, inductors. Some have a tubular device with tiny wires wrapped around and those are inductors.

Rich