Something new for "N" Scale Train Sets?

Started by Trainmastermike, February 07, 2013, 12:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainmastermike

I've been a fan of Bachman Trains for the more than 20 years and would like to expand my N Scale layyout as I've retired and have lots of time. Are there any plans to expand the availability of N Scale train sets in the future? There are so many more choices when you get into HO scale but so few with N Scale. I really would like to see an N Scale version of your Rail Chief, Cargo King, Empire Buider, Royal Gorge, or Golden Spike sets that are now only available in HO Scale. So many of us have to go with N Scale because of the small amount of space it takes. Thanks, Trainmastermike.

GG1onFordsDTandI

I read there is an industry show in NY soon(was suposed to be feb 9-13, postponed)
and the new catalog will be unveiled then. We'll get a shot at seeing it soon after.
Cross your fingers and wait.

Desertdweller

I agree.  N-scale sets need more attention from Bachmann.

The Royal Gorge set could be put in production with only different paint jobs on items already in production.

Les

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Desertdweller on February 09, 2013, 01:00:57 PM
different paint jobs on items already in production.
I wonder If we will see customizable computer inkjet paint jobs in the future. Like on shoes, mugs, even automobiles, you can now design the graphics yourself. I was just kidding with a french newby about a TGV in warbonnet paint ha! To beat that, check out 3d plastic printers, you can "print" anything. As in "print" a coffee mug out of tiny grains of hot plastic, then use the cup to drink out of. Think star trek replicator. $300-$1000 for about 5"x5"x5" machine.
Printing whole engine bodies... 8)futures so bright I goota wear shades.
Heres to hoping my fantasy- orange, and 5-black stripes, DT&I GG1-, becomes an easy non-hack-bashed reality soon.
(I paint very well, but there is something about factory paint jobs thats hard to match, they lay flatter)

Desertdweller

GG1

I think a DT&I GG1 would be pretty cool.  How about a Milwaukee Road one, also?

A warbonnet TGV? Of course!  The warbonnet is a natural scheme for all streamlined locos (except maybe a GG1).

Les

Ken G Price

I don't get it.
Why would you buy a Bachmann set when you can get so much better by buying higher quality Bachmann engines?
Then buy the rail cars you need instead of what you are stuck with in a set.
I have lots of Bachmann cars and I bought the ones that fit in with the theme of my layout. All are not made by any other company as I could tell.
I will, be buying more in the future as I find ones I need.

My two Bachmann GP40 engines were DC train set and not made for DCC conversion, but I did do one to DCC. (lots of work, but it seems to work well and I run it with two other brand SD40's, will not do it again though) as well as removed the truck mounted couplers and put on body mounts. The next Bachmann engines will be DCC ready, for sure. The one I want and need ;D is out for sale. Darn them!

Now, saying all of the above, if you only want to do roundy, round over and over and the cars do not matter then, OK. But, what if in the future you want to do some actual operations, will you have the correct railcars?  ???
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Piyer

At the risk of repeating what Ken said, it sometimes sounds as if some people see the train sets as complete trains that are to never be mixed and matched with other equipment. Perhaps this is because some toy stores only sell train sets and do not carry individual locomotives and rolling stock.

A train set is the first step into this wonderful hobby of ours. Not the last one, or the only one. The 2-foot by 4-foot (or the 4x8 foot) plywood board isn't the only shape of the universe, and the oval and figure-8 aren't the only track configurations in that universe. Think outside the (train set) box! If you want a DT&I GG-1 or Santa Fe TGV, why not paint it yourself? The flatter factory look is from using an airbrush. It might be the only way to get what you want if it didn't exist in reality. Factory-made fantasy paint schemes are becoming as rare as DC layouts and $20 locomotives.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

GG1onFordsDTandI

The whole "set thing" is how the whole hobby began....and, some people just like sets of anything, not just trains. They are easily stored away neatly, and safely back in their boxes. An older guy next to a friend had closet half full with Trains and monorails in Ho, perfect original boxes. He only opened and set up one set at a time ran that powerpack, engine, and cars for it for a few days then put it neatly away, next time he choose another. He would have lost it at the thought of getting loose ballast or grass into the trucks on his engines. "His grandkids would each get one when he died" he said.  :'(-
Round de round-vs- back and forth, passenger -vs- freight, rivet counting, all semantics. FUN is each to his own. Not everyone is going to go large, switch cars, and be prototypical. Maybe I need a nap, but I think you guys came across a little harsh rather than informative.   

Desertdweller

I agree with GG1.

I built a rather large (for N-scale) model railroad a few years ago.  The starting point for it was several Bachmann train sets.

For what I was doing, it was a good choice.  Look what I got:  several locomotives, cars, a good start on the track I would be needing anyway, and a power pack with each set.

I selected sets with locomotives I could use, used the track (which reduced the amount I would have to buy anyway, and used the power packs to control turntables.  I don't use DCC, and nothing went to waste.  What I can't use initially became spares.  It was a cost-effective way to get a lot of stuff.

Les