News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stripping & painting shell of GP40

Started by Jay, August 16, 2007, 12:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

I recently had gotten a Bachmann GP40 and I woul like to repaint it as the local shortline.  What are the suggestions for doing so?  I would imagine I do not want to just paint over the engine with the paint and decals that are currently on it.  Thanks!
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse
www.trainweb.org/theroundhouse

brad

You'll want to strip the shell first, as any lettering, even though it is very thin, will show through the paint. I'd reccommend Castrol Super Clean. I tried it for the first time on a P2K tender and had a clean, paint and lettering  free tender in a couple hours.

For applying paint I'd reccommend an airbrush. Brush painting, no matter how well done always leaves marks and covers up details. I always use a laquer or enamal  based paint for my base colours and then detail and weather with acrylics. If you make a mistake with weathering you can remove the paint ussually without harming the base colours.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

Jay

Brad,

Is this the product you are talking about? http://www.autobarn.net/super-clean-1gallon.html  What is the process you used to clean the shell with this if I can ask.
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse

jayl1

There is also Chamelion paint remover available.  Check the Walthers cataolg for prices & sizes.  You could also do a "patch job" over some of the original paint & reletter the loco for your shortline (unless your local shortline is a real one).

Jay

My local shortline is an atual shortline.  I am surprised I have yet to find someone in the area modeling it as I doubt that I am the first.  I have read a few reviews now of the Castrol Super Clean and it doesnt seem to have many down falls.
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse