News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ez track turnouts

Started by bigalspitzer, February 15, 2013, 11:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigalspitzer

Hi, I have the bachmann ez track 28" radius and larger curves on my layout. I want to add a larger outside track.  What turnout do I need to get in order to do that? I dont think the standard 18" turnouts will work or will they? If they do not which turnout do I need to get. I have HO scale on a dc layout. Thanks.

Joe Satnik

Dear Al,

John Armstrong, in his book "Track Planning For Realistic Operation" 3rd Ed.  shows the

"Radius of the Closure Rail" (RCR) as the minimum radius of a numbered turnout. 

A number 5 has a 26" RCR, and a number 6 has a 43" RCR. 

Since you don't want to reduce your layout's minimum radius from 28"R, you should use #6 turnouts or crossovers.

2 options:

1.  A pair of left #6 turnouts (with insulated rail connectors between the divergent routes) to cross from the inside loop to the outside loop,

plus a pair of right #6 turnouts (with insulated rail connectors between the divergent routes) to cross from outside to inside. 

This gives 4" spacing between track center lines, and is 30-15/16" long, according to the track CAD program AnyRail.com.

2.  A left #6 crossover, modified (divergent rails and certain under-track foils cut) for DC Block operation, to cross from inside to outside,

plus a right #6 crossover, modified (divergent rails and certain under-track foils cut) for DC Block operation, to cross from outside to inside.

This gives 2-3/8" center line spacing, and is 21-1/4" long. (Courtesy AnyRail.com

Either way, you would need to wire in an Atlas #215 Selector for 2 cab (throttle) control of up to 4 blocks of track.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.