News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track

Started by mallonee, February 09, 2013, 11:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mallonee

To put a 30 deg crossing between 2 Maj lines how much space do I need?  and to power switches what turn out do I need HO Scale

GG1onFordsDTandI

I think maybe you should rewrite the question.(try modify button) It is kinda unclear. 18 people have read but not responded. ???
I am not an HO guy just reading here. But I think clearer details are necessary here. Are you asking about 2-4 turnouts used together to change tracks?(I think so) And the powering of these switchtracks(turnouts,Wye,Y,switchtrack all similar terms/items) So you will be able to CROSSOVER(VERB) from major line-a to major line-b?(mainline is more common). The radius(middle to edge) or diameter(widest edge to edge) of your turnouts curve will also be needed to figure the measurement. 30 degree on the turns tells us only that there are 12 pieces in a perfect circle(12x30=360degree), at 45degree=8 to a circle) It does not tell us how big the circle is.
Crossovers(as noun) are generally where two tracks cross each other in an X, but trains cant "turn" onto the other track,
they are most common in 45 and 30 degree form.

mallonee

Thanks for the replay;  I have a ho layout on a 4x 8 board and two main lines on the layout but I want to put in a cross over where i now have only one turn out what do I need to do to make this possible  Thanks for a answer

Jerrys HO

mallonee

Try downloading the free version of anyrail. It let's you play with 50 pieces for free and you can swap around pieces to fit your needs. You may like it so much as to buy the full version like me and a few others.

Jerry

Balrog21

Anyrail is your key to your dreams! =) Seriously, download the free version and give it a go..you won't be sorry at all!
Bal

Doneldon

mal-

You have three options. The first, and easiest, is to purchase a right and a left prefab Bachmann crossover track. The second is to purchase four numbered turnouts (not switches which are not designated by number), two right and two left. You can then put these wherever on your layout you want them. The last alternative is to purchase the same four turnouts as with option two, but with a crossing as well. This configuration places both directions of crossover at the same point, unlike the first two. The size (degrees) of the crossing in the middle will be dictated by the rest of your trackage, for example, the distance between the parallel tracks with the double crossover. It's pretty unlikely that you can pull off a double crossover on a 4'x8' layout unless your curves are exceedingly tight. IMHO, you'd be much better separating your crossovers and using broader curves than trying to do a double crossover. You'll end up with comparative tight curves even with separated crossovers.

-- D

jbrock27

Doc,

Would Mal likely need to use a curve with a radius of less than 18" for his inside loop if he were to try to fit the double crossover on a 4 x 8 space?

-jb
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

mal-

If you use the Shinohara double crossover suggested by Hunt (a fine
product) don't put it near a curve. That will help you avoid clearance
problems and potential ess curves.

-- D

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Some of these pics from Terry Toenges have a 30 degree crossing in use:

http://www.sarget.com/atempstuff

Toss 'em into AnyRail and see what happens. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

GG1onFordsDTandI

that shinohara looks like a good bet, or look at Bachmanns #6 crossovers # 44576 & 44575 (one left, one right)
Measurements on length of, and distance between the tracks, are a mystery to me. Any one got these and a ruler?

My apologies:  "Switch-tracks" could be a 3 generation slang term my family has always used to describe turnout groupings which were not a yard ladder. I never really realised it was not a common term. And the term "crossover" also seems to differ depending on who is making the track. A Lionel crossover is an X, no turn out ability. While rail terms are pretty consistant now, in the past there were differences in terminology on the various lines. My "family slang", IF it was once considered an accurate term,, I think would have been from the Pierre Marquette, or Mich. Upper Peninsula logging lines circa. early 1900s. Cant say for sure its not just plain wrong, only know I learned the term in the late 60s, while killing Laundromat time, watching the SS Chief Wawatum getting loaded with railcars to cross the straights of Mackinac. (still pronounced mackinaw)(I hope)

mhampton

If you use a Bachmann #6 crossover, it will give you about 2.5" center-to-center spacing on parallel tracks.  If you use a pair of turnouts to make your own crossover, the spacing will be slightly greater.  Before I go any further, I am assuming you're using EZ-track.  That being said, I can't find any turnouts that will allow you to use a 30 degree crossing to make a double crossover - at least not without some fudging a little bit.  If you absolutely MUST have a double crossover, it will take two each of left and right turnouts (the non-numbered variety) plus a 60 degree crossing.  That combination leaves you with a whopping 6.75" track spacing.  My vote would be for left and right #6 crossovers.

Joe Satnik

Picture credit: Full Maxx.  (Thanks.)  

More details here:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,12474.0.html

Note that the inner oval (18" radius) has two 3" fitter straights, one in the middle of each of the end curves (semi-circles).

Hope this helps.  

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: Spelling
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

the number 4 switches are close enough they should work with a 30 degree crossing. i've been able to use them in this situation with anyrail, which is more fussy about alignment than the real track.

that said, the only way to use an ez track 30 degree crossing in a crossover and get a reasonable track spacing is to trim its length. you should be able to chop an inch or two off each leg.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

GG1-

The term "switch" is commonly used by people on the twelve-inches-to-the-foot railroads. Of course, they don't have much confounding terminology for what a switch is. And look at some more of the terms they use: "Throw the switch," "switch engine," "switcher," "switch list" and many more. And, I hope I don't need to point out that the real guys don't have any employees called turnoutmen.

mhampton-

The problem with using switches other than numbered (straight leg) turnouts is that they create an ess curve.

jeff-

Even cutting the legs on a 30o crossing won't push the tracks together very much because an inch of track off of the crossing is only a
fraction of an inch in the spacing.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

jbrock27

Ok, can anyone tell, me if mal (OP) was to pull this off on a 4 x 8 space, would mal have to use a curve with a radius of less than 18" for his inside loop?

Thanks much,

-jb
Keep Calm and Carry On