Installing a Phoenix PB-11 into a Bachmann C-19

Started by TPendola, January 11, 2013, 07:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPendola

Hello Everyone,

Has anybody installed the Phoenix PB-11 into the new Bachmann C-19.  I've been looking at all the wiring diagrams and instructions and I'm a little confused as to what would be the best way to hook it up.  I plan on just running it DC with the PB-11 set up for automatic sounds.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom

Kevin Strong

If you're just running the PB11 on regular track voltage, then you want to connect the track inputs on the Bachmann board to P1 terminals 1 and 2 on the PB11. Everything else gets hooked to the PB11 per the instructions in the PB11 handbook. The track inputs will be the solder pads labeled on the side of the big board as "Left W" and "Right W," or you can use the ones labeled "Motor" as well. For track power, they're the same thing, just make sure to use both the left and right side.

The speaker leads from the PB11 can be attached to the "sp" solder pads.

Later,

K

TPendola

Thanks for your help Kevin.  What do you do for the chuff?  Also did you use the stock speaker or did you upgrade it?

Thank you again

Tom

Kevin Strong

I used 3 magnets on the tender wheel to trigger my chuff, because I installed a Revolution receiver, which doesn't pass the power forward to the locomotive for lights, etc. By the time I figured out how to jumper around that, I had somehow managed to zap the optical chuff circuit. (Or I'm still doing something wrong in terms of trying to get it to work...) See Stan Ames' post on the other C-19 sound thread about hooking up the optical chuff. At some point, I'll go back in and troubleshoot the optical system, but the ratio between the tender wheels and the driver diameter are so close to being 4:3 that the chuffs are pretty much perfectly quartered with the magnets. I tend to have calibrated eyeballs to that sort of thing, especially at slow speeds, and running that C-19 with my scratchbuilt C-19 with magnets quartered on the driver are virtually identical.

I'm just using the stock speaker. The tender shell is a great enclosure. The only thing I did was jam a piece of wood across the tender body as I was getting some "shaking" from the tender. The wood puts just enough pressure on the side of the tender to keep it quiet.

Later,

K

bob kaplan

A real "beginner" here so please don't chuckle too much but help is really appreciated.

Looking at the Bachmann C-19, could you:
1)  remove the jumper board that is in the Bachmann C-19 tender?
2)  attach the Phoenix sound board's 1 + 2 power inputs to the supplied Bachmann plug (with all the wires) to the wires labeled R (which is orange) and the one labled L (which is black) for the board's power source?
3)  attach  the Phoenix chuff sensor (i think #s 11+12) to the wired plug's "chuff" on the left side of that plug (purple wire)?......and the plug's wire on left side labeled "ground" ( a black wire...but more to the center that the other black wire!!)
4)  attach speaker to Phoenix board as directed in Phoenix directions
5)  attach bell and whistle to reed switches as indicated in Phoenix directions

The sound board would be a PB11 and the power would be regular track power.

Thanks for your time.   i really hate the ruin either the Bachmann board or the Phoenix so i would appreciated your help before i give it a try.  

Kevin Strong

Bob, that sounds correct. If you don't get lights, or chuff, or anything from the loco with the Bachmann wire plug installed, then you're going to have to jumper the track inputs on the side of the board (L, R) to the B+ and Ground pads as well. Because this is track-powered, make sure you use a bridge rectifier. But I think that's an Aristo Revolution plug-in issue, so it shouldn't be the case.

If you're still not getting the optical chuff, ask Stan Ames about the chuff hook-up.

Later,

K

bob kaplan

Thank you Kevin.  The board has been ordered...when i get it i will try to attach it as i indicated above...and post what happends!!!.....Fingers crossed...i shouldn't blow the boards with this "experiement" .... right?

mikehstokes

What is the difference in the PBS-11 and PBS-8?  I thought when using track power, the two boards were the same?  I thought the added memory was only significant during battery power.  Can you I'm new also?

StanAmes

Quote from: bob kaplan on January 27, 2013, 10:19:14 AM
A real "beginner" here so please don't chuckle too much but help is really appreciated.

Looking at the Bachmann C-19, could you:
1)  remove the jumper board that is in the Bachmann C-19 tender?
2)  attach the Phoenix sound board's 1 + 2 power inputs to the supplied Bachmann plug (with all the wires) to the wires labeled R (which is orange) and the one labled L (which is black) for the board's power source?
3)  attach  the Phoenix chuff sensor (i think #s 11+12) to the wired plug's "chuff" on the left side of that plug (purple wire)?......and the plug's wire on left side labeled "ground" ( a black wire...but more to the center that the other black wire!!)
4)  attach speaker to Phoenix board as directed in Phoenix directions
5)  attach bell and whistle to reed switches as indicated in Phoenix directions

The sound board would be a PB11 and the power would be regular track power.

Thanks for your time.   i really hate the ruin either the Bachmann board or the Phoenix so i would appreciated your help before i give it a try.  

Bob

Best to check with Phoenix as they have a C-19 and it is their board you are installing.

When you are done the Jumper board in the C-19 must be installed in the locomotive for it to work.

A few comments.  I have installed several P8s but not a PB11 in a C19

Rather then playing with the jumbo board you can also solder the Phoenix wires to the pads labled on the main Bachmann board in the tender.

On the PB11 Install terminals 1 and 2 are the PB11s power.  Connect these to the track leads J1:1 and J1:12

Next hook up the speaker and all the other reed triggers for the whistle and bell.

Test out the installation to ensure everything is working properly.

Next connect the the PB11s pin 12 (trigger input 1) which is normally the PB11s default chuff input the the C-19s chuff output.

That should be all you need.

Stan

Loco Bill Canelos

Mike,
the P8 is a board designed for battery powered locos and the PB11 is for track powered locomotives.  The basic difference is the P8 is powered by the onboard battery pack and the PB11 has a small battery attached to allow for the sound to work while the loco is stopped or going very slow, it has circuitry to recharge the sound battery as well, that is why the PB11 is a little more expensive.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Tony Walsham

The P8 is also designed for track powered DCC.
It is not designed for variable voltage DC track power. 
The PB11 will run on regular variable DC track voltage.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

bob kaplan

Stan,
  Thanks for the info....!!Then there is only ONE wire required to activate the chuff circuit with the PB-11 board and the C-19....once the power wires are in place?