News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Unlettered standard boxcars return

Started by Hamish K, February 11, 2013, 12:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

An examination of the online catalogue on this site shows two unlettered boxcars, one described as mineral red and one oxide red. They are described as new and are, I presume, the previous standard box cars. No photos are yet shown. They have new product numbers. Similarly there are two  low sided gondolas described as new,  one oxide red and one black.

There was some discussion a little while ago on this board about the apparent demise of these boxcars and what it meant for the future of Bachmann's On30 range. Their return, and with a choice of colour, shows that Bachmann is indeed committed to ON 30.

Thank you Bachmann

Hamish

Hamish K

An addition - these are in the 2013 catalogue, now available for download from the homepage, (It wasn't when I originally posted, I live in Australia, so it is early evening here. The Bachmann people must be working through the night to update the site, thanks fellas).

Not much else of interest for ON30 fans, of course new announcements are, these days, made at the NMRA convention in summer. That makes the re-appearance of the box cars in the catalogue something of a surprise.

Hamish

max (uk)

There are these as well:

Quote18' Freight Cars BOX CAR with MURPHY ROOF OXIDE RED, DATA ONLY

Convertible Coach/Observation Car(with lighted interior)

Observation railing is included with
each car so you can easily convert from
Coach to Observation, if desired.

PAINTED, UNLETTERED
BURGUNDY with GOLD LINING

PAINTED, UNLETTERED
OLIVE with GOLD LINING

The box cars should have a new roof and the coaches sounds like it will be a new body with the normal coach chassis and roof.

railtwister

Quote from: max (uk) on February 11, 2013, 01:19:30 PM
There are these as well:

Quote18' Freight Cars BOX CAR with MURPHY ROOF OXIDE RED, DATA ONLY

Convertible Coach/Observation Car(with lighted interior)

Observation railing is included with
each car so you can easily convert from
Coach to Observation, if desired.

PAINTED, UNLETTERED
BURGUNDY with GOLD LINING

PAINTED, UNLETTERED
OLIVE with GOLD LINING

The box cars should have a new roof and the coaches sounds like it will be a new body with the normal coach chassis and roof.

The original "real" observation car had windows on either side of the door on the end with the railing, which a coach doesn't have. Is this new one an 18 footer? Where did you hear that the boxcar roofs are going to be different? Are they the bigger 25-1/2 foot cars?

Bill in FtL

max (uk)

In the 2013 Catalog on page 247 & 248: http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=4671
The current 18ft boxcar is Item No. 26501, on the same page is box car Item No. 26551, without a picture.

I didn't think about a cross between the current coach and observation car. I would think it would be a bit strange to have a coach with windows at one end and not have it as an observation car.

I guess we will have to wait and see unless someone from Bachmann can shed light on the topic.

railtwister

The cars referred to in Hamish's original post are numbers 27098 and 27097, and have data only in either oxide red or mineral red. The original length undecorated boxcar was  sku #27099, so the number series would indicate the new boxcars are the same style, and presumably will have the same roof & body as the first one. The mention of Murphy roof is for the 18 foot shorty boxcar, not the standard length versions. The convertible coach/observation car appears to be in the same number series as the previous On30 passenger cars, so it will likely be the same coach with added handrails, and the old observation (the one with the end windows) and the combine, as well as the sound Forneys, sound Shays, and both sound and DCC versions of the Climaxes, seem to be gone from the catalog.

I  also notice that as usual for this time of year, the prices have once again risen.

Bill in FtL

Hamish K

I too noticed the coach/observation car and the deleted items. the coach/observation is I guess a way of keeping a range of items available while limiting the number of individual items that need to be made. I await the details with interest. I was sorry to see that the combine was missing, I expect, and hope, that it will return some day. I was not surprised to see that some of the older locomotives were deleted, they can not keep them all in production and continue to give us new items. Some may return in the future, possibly in a different form (e.g. a different Climax or Shay locomotive). What the return of the boxcars does show is that Bachmann is keeping a good basic range of  items available, even if every item we might want is not available all of the time.

Hamish