News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Collecting

Started by Balrog21, February 13, 2013, 12:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balrog21

How in the good Lord's name do you amass over 8,000 pieces of rolling stock that is 90% dedicated to an individual rail line? Jeez!

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Balrog21

some nut on Ebay...he's selling them as well...i can't even imagine what 8,000 rolling stock boxes would look like all stacked up at once! He's selling bunches in huge lots of 20's, 50's, 70's...it's nuts!

Johnson Bar Jeff

Gee. I thought I was like a cat lady with trains, with 23 computer paper boxes full, plus a number of sets in their set boxes, but that guy has me beat. (Kind of a relief, too). 

And my collection isn't all the same railroad. Indeed, some of my stock is for railroads that didn't exist at all, didn't exist in prototype/1:1 scale, or only existed "in celluloid."

jettrainfan

I got 200 pieces of rolling stock probably, collecting sense I was 12 probably, but only about 120 have metal wheels and knuckle couplers. this is a ruff estimate but believe it or not... the 120 part is near spot on. I'm 17 now with a job. If your truly dedicated and its your main hobby, its easy. my other one is drag racing and I buy a $20 shirt 1-3 times a year. Just giving a ruff idea of how people get so many trains.  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Jerrys HO

B21

I was looking at that in the e-mail you sent me. This must have been someone who bought out a closing hobby shop's inventory. Let's hope so or this guy is worse than all of us. ;D

Jerry

TimR

Which scale? What road? I can't find it.

jbrock27

Yea Bal, how do we find this obsessive-compulsive, hoarder dude?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Balrog21

I must say I think it's going to hurt him putting all these up at one time though....maybe some of us will get lucky...I reached my limit on one though...it's worth more but 250.00 was my limit. *sigh* why couldn't i hit the lottery last week!!!! ARRRRGGGHHHH! I've also noticed that he's shortened the auction time to 5 days now instead of the original 7. =)
B

Balrog21

Which lead to my next train of thought...How big is his layout that he runs most of these on???????

jbrock27

Thanks Bal.  No bidding competition from me, I promise.  Just curious for a look see.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

How about it?!
For me, throw the JC Penny catalog in there too!
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

MY Goodness !!

I had to stop looking, it was just too much.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

A few weeks ago CSX posted a roster of all its rolling stock on Facebook including locos and it was 64,000 or thereabouts.  This guy might be trying to beat them.

Balrog21