News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Clip in Rapido to Mark II couplers

Started by exile182, February 13, 2013, 09:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exile182

Hi

Ill try and make this short, I bought a Bachmann set a long while ago, maybe 5 years or so, it came with a Sante Fe, the rolling stock came with Rapido couplers, that sort of have piece that clips on over the coupler and into the truck or on the body. Now while building a layout for it, I bought a GP7  and Consolidation, with plans on getting more rolling stock, I also bought quite a few EZ Mark II medium couplers, enough to do what I have and for future need, as I knew the 2 locos came with them already.

When I got them all, I went to convert the couplers on the rolling stock, and realized that being those clip on type I was a bit lost on how to do it, I actually "retro" fitted them to the rolling stock by using the clips still, but theres a flaw in this and that is that a simple bump or even the general vibration of the track causes the couples to hang down because the Mark II is thinner at the mounting point then the Rapido and the little metal arm to dig into the ties and obviously cause a derailment. I assume that theres meant to be a way of using a small screw and a flat bracket to hold it in place, but after 2 years of searching and hoping to see a solution I cant find anything. Obviously the new locos have this set up already. Just wondering if anyone can help me, how do I convert it, what do I need, and where can I get the things needed? Im from Australia, but dont mind ordering online.

Thanks

exile182

Any help would be great, do I have to replace the trucks? I would rather not, because dont trucks normally come with wheels and couplers as well?

skipgear

Microtrains makes a coupler conversion (1129 I believe)

You can also get Microtrains, Atlas or Bachmann trucks to replace them. You may have to enlarge the bolster pin hole in some of the trucks because Bachmann's screw in bolster is larger than other manufacturers.

The most reliable and simplest solution is to replace the trucks. The clip on cover style couplers are pretty bad about staying together once you take the cover off once.

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

exile182

Thanks, Im not sure if that will work, as the Mark II have a different end to the square end on rapido or dummy knuckle couplers

lesklar

skipgear, I have the same issue. When you say replace the trucks, how do you do that on locomotives? I understand on the rolling stock and have done it.

exile182

I looked at that conversion, they are only for couplers that have the same "tail" as the rapidos, that T shape. Bachmann EZ mate Mark II couplers have a circle at the end or an eye. If I went Micro Trains Line trucks with all the wheels and couplers, I would have to spend another $50, and would waste my dummy couplers, which is quite unfortunate since it was on the advice given to me 3 years ago.

skipgear

Quote from: exile182 on February 14, 2013, 11:40:40 PM
Thanks, Im not sure if that will work, as the Mark II have a different end to the square end on rapido or dummy knuckle couplers

You can not use the Mark II couplers in the older cars with the T shank Rapidos or T shank dummy knuckes. There is no pin for the Mark II coupler to pivot on. They were not designed to replace the T-shank style couplers. If you want to convert the couplers in cars with the T-shank couplers, Micro-trains is the solution. I really hoped Bachmann or McHenry would have come out with T-shank conversion couplers but it didn't happen.

Don't use the T-shank dummy knuckles. They had an issue that they were not the proper height and had problems coupling with any other brand knuckle coupler. The Bachmann dummy knuckles are pretty useless unless you are using them exclusively with Bachmann cars and no other cars are used. The cars equipped with Mark II's have that issue fixxed.

Make everything work with your Mark II couplers. Use your locos factory equipped with Mark II's as the benchmark. Make everything couple properly to them.

Swapping trucks is the other option.

You can not go back to Rapidos with many current releases. Rapidos are dead and gone. To get universal connectivity, you must convert to knuckle couplers.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

exile182

Thats very unfortunate since it was bachmann them selves that suggested buying these after I bought the locos with the different couplers, and yes i did mention they where the 2 shape rapidos on the locos. I can fit these to type to the t shape for now, its not perfect but it will do until I can find trucks that work, Micro trains trucks look the option, do all knuckle couplers work together? such as the Mark II that come with Bachmann locos, and Micro Trains ones?

Thanks