Question about break in period or a warranty problem.

Started by mskillen, August 16, 2007, 09:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mskillen

Hi  everyone,
I have purchaced 2 brand new Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidations.
One was undecorated, and one in Western Maryland.

The one that is undecorated right out of the box runs smooth as silk, not a noise to be heard.

The Western Maryland runs but it makes grinding noise frome inside the engine.
It surges as it runs. like its in a bind and it squeals as it runs.
I have looked at it and its not from the side rods, it seems like the worm gear is slipping inside the housing.

If I open the train to look do I void the warranty?

I have let it run on a loop of track now for about and hour and its not resolving the problem.
How long should I let this run before I make a decision ?

Thanks

SteamGene

I'd call Bridget on your own dime.  I did that today with a 2-10-2 which did nothing.  It goes to Philadelphia tomorrow.  She does great stuff.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen Warrington

Must be a bad day for 2-10-2s I got a proto 2000 giving me fits and it goes back to Millwaukee tomorrow as well. Not a good day for 5 coupled drivers I guess.

Stephen

mskillen

Thanks Gene,
I will just do that, sure is aggravating after having to wait for delivery and then have problems.

Thanks again
Mark

lanny

Mark,

The 'noise' you describe sounds like there is a possibility that your problem has to do with the main inside metal chassis which consists of two 'halves', factory 'press fit' together. There is a 'molded' area in the rear which encases the gears. I suspect yours was not assembled properly.

The reason I say this is that I also had a Spec 2-8-0 which was very jerky and noisey, though taken out of a new 'sealed, wrapped box'. I took it 'apart', only to find that the 'assembler' (possibly a 12 year old laborer working in a Chinese factory?) had 'forced' the two halves together and bent/broken part of the casting around the gear, making it impossible for the gear to mesh correctly.

The only 'wise' thing to do is 'send it in' ... as far as I can tell, such 'assembly damage' is irreparable. (You will like your 'new' replacement :)!)

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler