Anybody here willing to weather something for me?

Started by Artfull Dodger, February 14, 2013, 03:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artfull Dodger

Any of my fellow On30's good at weathering locomotives?   I am building the 3rd truck kit from Backwoods Miniatures for my Climax and would like to have it and the locomotive weathered to match the picture on Backwood's website.  Our one guy that is fairly local is backed up for several months with kits to build, paint and weather.  Thanks in advance.  Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Royce Wilson

If you join the Yahoo groups,On30,On3 and the On30conspiracy then you probably would have better luck there. ;D

Royce

Artfull Dodger

Thats for the suggestion Royce but I dont need another account to keep up with over on Yahoo.  I will find someone eventualy between the forums I post on.   MIke
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

CNE Runner

Mike - "Give a man a fish and you have fed him for a meal. Teach the man to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime." Why not learn the mystical art of weathering yourself?

I suggest using pastel chalks as they can be wiped off and redone. They can also be 'sealed' with a light application of matte spray if desired. One can also use artist's oils that can also be removed with turpenol (although I would test this on a hidden area first). [As a disclaimer I should point out that chalks cannot be completely removed from painted wooden surfaces.] The secret to any weathering is to apply very light layers. Slowly build up the layers until you achieve the look you want.

Before you start any loco/rolling stock weathering project it is extremely helpful to have a picture of the prototype. Prototype images are readily available from Google Images. The only issue, with this procedure, is finding color pictures of some older locomotives and rolling stock (i.e. 19th century items).

If, on the odd chance, you really screw up the project; do what the DIY folks do...call in a professional to make things right (think a complex plumbing repair...don't ask).

Regards,
Ray

PS: Model Railroader has had some excellent articles on weathering steam and diesel locomotives as well as some rolling stock. There are numerous videos available on the subject on YouTube as well.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Burlington Route

Quote from: artfull dodger on February 14, 2013, 03:17:53 PM
Any of my fellow On30's good at weathering locomotives?   I am building the 3rd truck kit from Backwoods Miniatures for my Climax and would like to have it and the locomotive weathered to match the picture on Backwood's website.  Our one guy that is fairly local is backed up for several months with kits to build, paint and weather.  Thanks in advance.  Mike

Do you own an airbrush? I could teach you how easily enough...I've weathered many 1/35 armor and 1/25 scale cars/trucks...I understand that some folks just don't want to mess with it, but the process could be very handy to you...

Tugmaster

I've been teaching a friend to 'weather' just by starting some thing simple.  If you have an old piece of stock that you don't want/use or buy a real cheap piece of HO, you can try yourself by the 'dry-brushing' method.

I prefer to use acrylic paint because if you're not happy with it, using another brush and water you can 'wash' it off.

Take your brush DRY and just 'wet' the very end of the bristles and using vertical strokes say, on a corner, just brush on the colour - the harder you brush the 'deeper' the colour.  To ease out the colour just moisten the bristles and 'thin' out the paint.

For various degrees of Rust, use an assortment of reds and browns.

It's hard to teach someone to 'weather' in words, so just 'mess' about on something old till you the hang of it,  But remember - LESS IS MORE - don't over do it or else it looks unreal.  Study photos, go out and look at your car [if you have one] or a passing truck and trailer, or a bus, especially this time of year when vehicles of all kinds get a little dirty.

As some one has said if you have an airbrush try that, again on something old.  Turn the paint flow right down but keep up the air pressure so that the paint 'dusts' the item.  I've done all my 50+ pieces of stock this way, light colours for deserts etc, darker for the wetter regions.

Have a go yourself -if you don't try, you'll never know, and then if you cann't, then you'll have to look to some one to do it for you.

Rgds
Garth

uscgtanker

If you are weathering a steam loco I have real experience with a few. ashes will gather on the top of the boiler cab and tender easily if burning wood or coal. the drive wheels will pick up dust from any terrain and usually ends up below the cab, boiler, frame, pistons back heads and driving gear. I have weathered a few locos and they look very nice. If you don't want to do the job because of skill you can find a lot of books videos and helpful people. being on winter break I wouldn't mind having some extra things to do.

railroads2005

I can do the weathering. I also do kit building, scenery, wiring track plan design and full layout builds. Please go to my website at www.AffordableModelRailroads.com or email me directly at info@AffordableModelRailroads.com and we can discuss fees and timeline.