News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Heisler Pulling Power

Started by railtwister, March 20, 2013, 01:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

A post on thr RRLine forum stated that the new Heisler had limited pulling power, only 4 Bachmann On30 log cars (with logs). I would have hoped for better than that, especially since the Heisler is closer in configuration to an HO diesel than a steam powered rod locomotive.

Has anybody tried pulling anything with their new Heisler? How does it pull compared to other On30 locos?

Bill in FtL

Bucksco

The Heisler displays good tractive effort. I ran 10 cars in a mixed consist and could have added more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ZOFJ2FAhE

railtwister

Hi Yardmaster,

Thanks for posting the video, it's good to see the Heisler in action. I suspect the poster on the RRLine forum must have had some really heavy logs on those four cars, or maybe a steep grade he wasn't telling us about,
or perhaps both.

Got any more videos?

Bill in FtL

Bucksco

You should buy a Heisler. Then you can post some videos of it..... ;)

railtwister

Quote from: Yardmaster on March 20, 2013, 07:22:07 PM
You should buy a Heisler. Then you can post some videos of it..... ;)

I'd sure like to, but right now, I've got this Climax that I can only shoot stills of...  :'(

Bill in FtL

Bucksco

Patience is a virtue my friend........

RGimble

I sure like my new heisler! The only issues I am having with it is getting the rear light to work as it is hard to get the rear light plugged back in, need to try again. You have to pull the leads in order to get the sound module installed.
  As for pulling power it should do well as it weighes almost 12 1/2 ozs. My U.S. Hobbies 10 ton shay that I had converted from On3 to On30 eons ago weighes 14 1/2 ozs. and it really pulls well. The shay originally sold for $295 but U.S. Hobbies blew them out at $99.95 back in the late 60's and if you can find one at a good price, get it!
  I personally feel that the heisler was a good buy and I feel that it was worth waiting for. I paid for mine in advance back in 2011. The heisler fits in well with the 4-4-0's. the Davenport, and the small porters as well with the new 18' freight cars as they are all the right size I feel.
  I know that I will be picking up another heisler soon!

Gimble43

Stevelewis

My Heisler  which  has  been here  for around 6 weeks  now  and has  had  quite a bit of running, will haul 8 18' freight cars + 1 woodside  caboose + 3 log cars up a 1 in 30 gradient  without  problems.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

railtwister

Quote from: Stevelewis on March 26, 2013, 05:14:23 AM
My Heisler  which  has  been here  for around 6 weeks  now  and has  had  quite a bit of running, will haul 8 18' freight cars + 1 woodside  caboose + 3 log cars up a 1 in 30 gradient  without  problems.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for that bit of information, it's reassuring. I guess the OP over on RR Line must have had very steep grades, very heavy logs, (or both), that he didn't tell us about. I'm still edgy about getting a Heisler, due to my Climax problems, but I did put a bid in for one on eBay. We'll see how it goes, I usually end up just establishing the price for the winning bidders!

Bill in FtL