News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Magnum Ultra (Mr. Bach Man?)

Started by conradin, August 16, 2007, 11:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradin

I just bought a Magnum Ultra power pak, but it does not have any instruction.
Would you be able to scan the instruction paper for me, or anyone can scan or take a photo of it for me?  I need to know how the brake button and the momentum button works, but most importantly, the difference between the variable DC and fixed DC outlet so my trains will not get fried. ???

Craig

Variable DC is for the track feed. It works off the throttle.

Brake slows the locomotive without touching the throttle.

Momentum accellerates and/or slows the locomotive at a more realistic rate while using the throttle. When momentum is on, you can advance the throttle and walk away as your train begins to move and finally reach the speed you advanced the throttle to. That's a neat feature if your locomotive doesn't have flywheels because it counteracts the horribly out of scale speeds that inexpensive locomotives tend to feature.

Craig

Oh, and momentum also stops the locomotive at a more realistic rate.

conradin

Quote from: Craig on August 16, 2007, 11:32:57 PM
Variable DC is for the track feed. It works off the throttle.

But what is the difference between this and the fixed DC?

JerryB

The 'fixed DC' output is for turnouts, lighting and other accessories that require a fixed voltage.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Fixed DC,  while it could be used for Jerry says,  is also there to allow one to put a separate throttle in line between the fixed DC terminals on the pack and the track,  thus turning the pack into a dual throttle power pack.  Fixed DC has a specific amount of DC current coming thru those terminals,  say about 12-14 volts.   Any track connected to those terminals will have your trains running at top speed and you will not be able to control them from the built in throttle.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

conradin

Quote from: ebtbob on August 17, 2007, 06:54:02 AM
Good Morning All,

Fixed DC is also there to allow one to put a separate throttle in line between the fixed DC terminals on the pack and the track,  thus turning the pack into a dual throttle power pack. 
How does that work?  Are there throttles out there that takes VDC input and then have VDC output (with no AC input)?

Also, I am planning to run two consists of four locos each in a four district layout.  Will the Ultra (VDC20, 2amp) have enough power to do that, or just have enough to handle one consist?

Currently I am using the traditional old Bachmann black power pak (17 VDC), and it works very well with 2 locos towing 40 cars, but 3 is a little bit slow, and 4 grounds to a halt.

ebtnut

Couple of things.  First, as far as power needed--conservatively assume that each loco requires one-half amp.  Your 4-unit lash-up therefore needs at least 2 amps.  If you're running 2 4-unit sets, I would use a separate power pack for each unless the pack is rated for about 10 amps.

Your typical DC power pack provides you with regulated DC, which controls the motor speed via a potentiometer or slider.  It will also provide unregulated DC, which is the straight DC from the rectifier at full voltage provided by the transformer (about 12-14 volts).  This can be used to power accessories like switch machines, building lights, etc.  It can also be used to power items like accessory throttles, which are essentially a throttle control and reverse switch and normally used for walk-around control.  Some power packs also provide AC power, which can also be used for some accessory items.  This AC is also about 12-16 volts, NOT the 110 volts that powers the pack from the wall outlet. 

conradin

Quote from: ebtnut on August 17, 2007, 01:09:53 PM
Your typical DC power pack provides unregulated DC, which is the straight DC from the rectifier at full voltage provided by the transformer (about 12-14 volts).   It can also be used to power items like accessory throttles, which are essentially a throttle control and reverse switch and normally used for walk-around control. 
Does that mean that if I get an accessory throttle, hook it up to the fixed DC section, I should be able to run 2 consists on 2 different districts? 

In reality I only plan to run one consist at a time, since there is really only one track.  The other three are the yards.  So basically I can set the entire layout as one single district if I want to.  But I like to separate the yards from the track so that while I can let consist #1 runs around, I can still move consist #2 within the yard.

Buzzie likes two things.  Either the 6 cars mice train, or a very long 20+cars train.  So having two trains always ready will be nice, as opposed to having to take one train off totally and assemble the other. ;D

the Bach-man

Dear Conradin,
I have a couple of them, and I've never seen an instruction sheet. I'll see if service has any.
You can run two consists with another speed control, but they'll have to be completely isolated electrically.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

RAM

Why don't you just run your main with your Magnum and the yard with you old bachmann pack. 

conradin

Quote from: RAM on August 18, 2007, 03:47:03 PM
Why don't you just run your main with your Magnum and the yard with you old bachmann pack. 
That is actually my plan.  I do have two black packs, and one modern gray cap. So technically each district can have its own pack.   But I still wonder is it possible for the Magnum plus to handle two consists.

conradin

PS.  When you turn the Magnum off, will the AC supply also be turned off?

Hunt

Quote from: conradin on August 16, 2007, 11:17:40 PM
I just bought a Magnum Ultra power pak, …

Quote from: conradin on August 19, 2007, 04:29:45 AM
PS.  When you turn the Magnum off, will the AC supply also be turned off?
Hmm… you have the power pack. You can very easily determine the answer to your question for yourself.  ;)

conradin

Nope it is still in the mail.  I won't receive it until next month.