News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E Z track

Started by ron_e_railroad, September 11, 2013, 05:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron_e_railroad

Hi, I see Bachmann has more track options for the Nickel Silver than the Steel Alloy. ie: #6 Remote Crossover Turnouts and the like. My question is since I have the Nickel Silver kit and would like to build a larger layout with items like the #6 Remote Crossover Turnouts, can I mix the Nickel Silver with the Steel Alloy e z track? I know the roadbeds wont match, but I could hand paint the black and gray roadbed to a common color that matches a lifelike freight-yard scheme.

So can I mix the Nickel Silver with the Steel Alloy e z track?

Thanks, ron_e_railroad:)

Jerrys HO

Ron

Yes they can be mixed. You may have to clean the rails more on the steel vs. the nickel.
You may want to stay with the nickel than steel if you are planning on expanding further.
Just about any ho scale track will work with EZ track with some modifications or adjustments to height if you happen to find that you need a piece that is not available in EZ track.

Jerry

jward

the roadbed colours won't match but there is an easy workaround for that. if you ballast your track, the ballast will cover the black roadbed. this is much easier than a tedious painting of all the black areas between the ties.

that said, i'd use the steel track on sidings and yard tracks where your locomotives won't be going much. that way, keeping it clean won't be as much of an issue.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

ron-

In theory you can mix the steel alloy (black roadbed) and nickel-silver track (grey). As a practice, I can't recommend it. The steel track is a major maintenance problem, particularly with DCC which needs flawless electrical continuity. To me, it's just way too big of a hassle, even if it means discarding the steel track which is included in many of Bachmann's train sets. You also have a significantly broader selection of track components with the N-S than steel. (By the way, stick with the numbered turnouts rather than the "switches" for more reliable operation.)
                                                                                                                                                                                        -- D

rbryce1

Quote from: jward on September 11, 2013, 07:10:14 AM
that said, I'd use the steel track on sidings and yard tracks where your locomotives won't be going much. that way, keeping it clean won't be as much of an issue.

While I agree with Jay, I would not use it on a siding where locomotives are used at all, only for storing rolling stock.  If the track is not used frequently, the rust problem occurs sooner, and when you do pull a locomotive onto that section of track, it will have a much higher degree of failing to operate.  Anywhere a locomotive will be used, I would recommend using Nickle Silver track, especially the less frequently used tracks.