News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas1911's Shay Project

Started by Thomas1911, February 15, 2013, 02:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

utdave

and you had to top it off with a john deere tractor    nothing runs like a john deere  and plus your locomotive was super with  great sounds.

Dave

Thomas1911

No significant progress to report, but I am trying to start on it again.  Wanting to get this project wrapped up before I start on my layout reconstruction.  I did get the needed rivet decals ordered over the weekend, also ordered a replacement water tank hatch since the original cast-on hatch will be cut away.  Working to get the tender body halves joined over the next few days.

I do have a question, can anyone tell me what the bullet-shaped details are on top of the water tank? They can be seen in my photo in my reply #32 on page 3.  One is to the left of the original water hatch and the other is to the right of the back-up light.  Not sure if they're some weird looking lifting eyes, water level sight glasses, vents, gun mounts, ....?  Wondering if I should worry about replacing the one next to the hatch that I will be removing.

Thomas1911

OK, some progress.

Last night I was able to get the "mill work" done on the water tank half of the tender body in order to join the coal bunker to the water tank.  Added a shim to the bottom of the coal bunker to correct the height difference with the water tank.  Once the glue has cured completely, I will smooth the sides and finish trim work and details.

With my rivet decals arriving in the next day or two, started giving some thought as to how they will be placed on the side of the tender body.  Came up with a tentative plan.

jonathan

So... we're down to rivet counting, eh?  ;D

I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.  Good on ya.

Regards,

Jonathan

Thomas1911

Getting close, Jonathan.

More progress last night.

Was able to file the sides of the tender body flat without too much trouble, correcting the width difference.  Had planned to use some filler to help hide the seam, but after starting to file off the cast-on rivets the sides were nearly flat.  Just kept filing until they were, which didn't take much.  The zinc material the parts are made of works pretty quickly.

Trimmed the factory coal load to clear the splice reinforcement material, fit the coal load in place, then installed the water fill pipe to locate the new water hatch.  Drilled a hole and installed the hatch.  Added a "rear wall" to divide the coal bunker and water tank.

Debating whether or not I want to fill the rounded corner on the front of the coal bunker to more or less blend the tender body into the rear wall of the cab, giving a more one- piece look.  The filler piece would have the filleted corner up towards the cab roof similar to the later Shays.

Other than deciding on filling the corner, pretty much ready for the rivet decals, paint and final assembly.

Doneldon

1911-

It looks to me like you're making great progress. It all looks good.

-- D

Thomas1911

Thanks Doneldon.

Checked the tracking on my rivet decals, shows they won't get delivered until Monday.  Looks like I won't be getting much done on this over the weekend.  I have to say I'm far from impressed with these "smart post" shipping methods companies are using.  Takes twice as long to receive a package that would normally take 3-4 days.  Not sure what the shipping companies are gaining by doing this.  Must be some cost savings, but I don't really see how.  Sorry for the rant.

Doneldon

1911-

The parcel services sometimes have the USPS make the final delivery after the parcel company moves the package from its
origin to the distribution center nearest the recipient's home. That has to add a day or two. It seems inefficient to use two
organizations but I suppose it allows the delivery services to concentrate on the distance cartage without having to run local
delivery services everywhere.

-- D

Thomas1911

I guess in some instances that makes sense from a logistical perspective.  Just kind of irritating when you pay standard shipping prices.  I would have expected it if I paid for economy shipping.

Maybe I'll get lucky and my package will be in the mailbox tomorrow.

Thomas1911

Attempted to add the filler to blend to the rear cab wall as mentioned previously, but it wasn't working out; couldn't get it to look right.

After all my whining, ended up getting my rivet decals in the mail on Saturday and completed engineer's side last night.  Pretty happy with the decals, nice product.  Expect to complete fireman's side tonight or tomorrow.  Had to order another bottle of engine black paint, surely will be here by end of the week and can paint this coming weekend.

Thomas1911

Well, for all intents and purposes, modifications for the Shay are done.  Only lack a few misc. details, weathering, a crew, and may add roadname decals later on.  Pretty happy with how the Micro-mark rivet decals turned out.  I do need to order a replacement footboard for the rear pilot.  It didn't want to come off easily during disassembly, ended up bending it with all the handling, and then it snapped off after more handling. I'm pleased with how this has turned out.  Usually my wild ideas end up in the parts bin or the trash.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, suggestions, and encouragement.  It's much appreciated.

I'll update and show more pictures as I add details and such, though not sure how soon that may be. 

jonathan

Great locomotive!  Sure will be a treat to have your unique project running around the layout. 

Congrats!

Regards,

Jonathan