News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N & W passenger cars - preliminary photos

Started by sully14, August 17, 2007, 12:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sully14

Well, here are the five cars I have painted so far. Decided to get the Kato observation. Have cleared one of the cars, been too humid around here to do the rest. Painted the stripes, but I think the bottom stripes came out too thick. The upper stripe on the baggage was freehanded which is why it is uneven in places. Figure I will repaint if and when more accurate markings for these come out. Besides, the paint I mixed for the red has set up. I have the worst time trying to save paint once I mix it. Let me know what you think. Sully

rains train

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

taz-of-boyds

It is fun imagining riding on a great train like that!  Speeding down the tracks watching the countryside go by with nothing to be concerned about but to sit back, relax, dream and enjoy.  To be surrounded by the sights and sounds of the railroad.

Some time soon I will need to start doing some painting....

Nice work!
Charles

sully14

Thanks all. Have had a blast on these so far. Just wish that someone would do the correct decals. Sully

brokemoto

It looks like you did a good job with these.

I had thought that MicroScale did make decals for these; perhaps they discontinued them; MicroScale did discontinue a large number of decal sets recently.

For those of you who can hold your collective breath until Samhain/Toussaint, Walthers has announced that Con-Cor is bringing back the Rivarossi heavyweight cars.  N&W is one of the roadnames listed.

The Js did pull HWs as well as streamlined cars.

Williamson

Broke,

the MicroScale N&W passenger decals are really way off (ie incorrect), and as a bonus MS discontinued them.

As for Concor, I hope they do a better job painting and lettering them than they have done in the past ...  >:(

Mark

GlennW

As for the RR/Concor cars, it appears this may be the Last Run for them. Get them while you can. With RR out of business & ConCor retiring & slowing down, your only other choice may be when Walthers or MicroTrains gets around to having enough new cars to have a train.

BTW you should run down to your Hallmark store & get some Lionel American Freedom Train ornaments. The cars are very useable for Zscale with a little work. $12.50 for the cars is a nice price. $18.00 for the PA is OK, too. (I dont think the cars are exclusive to Hallmark. They should be available very soon at Walgreen's, Kohl's & other stores that carry Hallmark ornaments.) 

Williamson

Quote from: GlennW on August 23, 2007, 08:35:29 PM
As for the RR/Concor cars, it appears this may be the Last Run for them. Get them while you can. With RR out of business & ConCor retiring & slowing down, your only other choice may be when Walthers or MicroTrains gets around to having enough new cars to have a train.

The cars Concor uses for their smoothside trains is Concor tooling not Rivarossi. Concor tooled them up back in the 1970s. So no worries there. Concor is not closing, they are still in business.

GlennW

The RR/Concor cars I was referring to appear to be the heavyweights. The RR/ConCor corrugated sided may already be gone. It's true, there may be more Concor smoothsides & Budd cars made in the future.

fieromike

Quote from: GlennW on August 26, 2007, 02:39:03 PM
The RR/Concor cars I was referring to appear to be the heavyweights. The RR/ConCor corrugated sided may already be gone. It's true, there may be more Concor smoothsides & Budd cars made in the future.

I don't know who is responsible for the moldwork, but Model Power still shows heavyweights in their lineup:
http://www.modelpower.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=205&Page=1

<sarcasm>Notice the excellent way the roof fits on the body</sarcasm>

Mike

Franz T

Oh hell, that model is ancient. My great-grandfather's kindergarten teacher had one when he was a kid.... ;D ;D
You ought to see the rolling characteristics of that 6-axle truck!!! you can put it on a 20% grade and it won't move! Remember, bad tooling never dies, it just gets sold to somebody else.

Franz T

taz-of-boyds

brokemoto

The MP cars are based on PRR cars.  The colors are pretty good for the PRR cars, but the lettering font is incorrect. 

N&W painted their passenger cars a red similar to that of the PRR .  As the PRR controlled the N&W for some time, some of the PRR cars may have run on the N&W and may even have been sold to it, but a N&W modeller or an SPF would know more about that than I do.

If you are good with an eraser, perhaps you could erase the PRR lettering and replace with N&W, assuming that you can find the MicroScale sheet, which MicroScale has discontinued.  Still, some dealers or vendors may have one as NOS.

I replaced the trucks on all of my MP and RR cars with MT trucks.  MT does sell both four and six wheel passenger trucks.  The replacement is not difficult.

Over the years, both MP and Lima have sold these cars with different road names.  Originally, they were Lima cars.  Lima sold them in Reading Company and C&O.  MP has sold them with Southern, NYC, ATSF, AMTRAK and PRR schemes.  The colors on the NYC are incorrect as is the lettering font.  The Southerns are in the Virginia Green scheme.  As I recall, AMTRAK did not have very many HW cars, even in 1971.

The majority of the RR cars are based on ATSF prototypes.

The major complaint about the RR and MP/Lima cars is that they lack steps.  The manufacturers omitted them to permit their operation on nine and three quarter curves.  The B-mann shorties at least have some attempt at representing steps.  The B-mann shorties would look rather silly behind a J, so I would not paint them in N&W.

EDITORIAL NOTE:  Walthers is showing individual N&W smoothside cars as in stock.  It also shows a Norfolk Southern smoothside set (that would work for a 611 excursion train for you modellers of more modern periods).  It does show some N&W HWs as well.  Type 223 into the search box and start going through the pages.

PRRThomas11

How do know all this stuff. You like some kind of ginius. :o
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Williamson

Quote from: brokemoto on August 28, 2007, 08:46:17 PM

If you are good with an eraser, perhaps you could erase the PRR lettering and replace with N&W, assuming that you can find the MicroScale sheet, which MicroScale has discontinued.  Still, some dealers or vendors may have one as NOS.

Avoid the Microscale N&W passenger car decals - they are HORRENDOUS.

Accurate ones are coming late this year from an excellent decal company.