Bullfrog Snot - It actually works!

Started by jpstrainyard, February 17, 2013, 01:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes:

I recently saw a post on the WBB forum, regarding the "liquid traction tires" called Bullfrog Snot, but it got removed, due to lack of replies. A fellow modeler actually used this product on a Lionel postwar steam loco (no magnet traction), and said that it improved pulling performance, immensely. Anyone else who may be interested in trying this product, can check out the website http://www.bullfrogsnot.com. All it is, is a silicone rubbery gel that you apply to a loco's wheels, to improve traction.

-JP
Sincerely: JP

coolwaldo

Hello JP That was me asking about Bullfrog Snot. You are correct about not getting any replies. So I pulled it. I will get some and try it. I will be using on Williams before Bachmann Berkshire. Thanks for getting back to me. Coolwaldo! :)
Be happy. Play with your trains.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Careful not to completly stall the wheels, as you can burn up your motors.

Also, you will lose some or all electrical contact on those wheels,

i.e., you can't do all your wheels. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes,

I think it is understandable that the "Snot" be applied to only the rear-most drive wheels on a steam loco.

The website shows various video clips on applying the snot.
The loco must be turned upside down, connect the power to the rollers and the frame, slowly spin the wheels ("yard speed") and use either a very fine artists paint brush, or a Q-Tip to apply the snot.

Hope this helps

-JP

r0gruth

You can also find B.F.Snot at some music stores that sell guitars.Some players use it on their fingers.
Roger

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes

If musicians used BF Snot on their fingers, wouldn't it get all over the instruments?

-JP

r0gruth

I am repeating what I was told by some guitar players including bass guitar.

I have no personal experience with it.
Roger

TrainmanGene

You have to let it cure. When I played years ago we would use rubber sewing thimbals on a sore finger.

Quote from: jpstrainyard on February 18, 2013, 12:30:54 PM
JP of Acton MA, USA writes

If musicians used BF Snot on their fingers, wouldn't it get all over the instruments?

-JP
Sueme Valley System

TrainmanGene

Be sure to clean your wheels real good with rubbing alcholhol or another cleaner. BFS dont adhear to dirty wheels very well.

Quote from: jpstrainyard on February 17, 2013, 07:08:06 PM
JP of Acton MA, USA writes,

I think it is understandable that the "Snot" be applied to only the rear-most drive wheels on a steam loco.

The website shows various video clips on applying the snot.
The loco must be turned upside down, connect the power to the rollers and the frame, slowly spin the wheels ("yard speed") and use either a very fine artists paint brush, or a Q-Tip to apply the snot.

Hope this helps

-JP
Sueme Valley System

GG1onFordsDTandI

Any one know any stores that carry it around S.East Mi., maybe even a music store chain?

TrainmanGene

You can go to amazon.com and its is available from some dealers below retail and with shipping you may pay retal but save on the sales tax. just type in bullfrog snot in the search. My girlfriend didn't believe me when i told her the name lol.
Sueme Valley System

GG1onFordsDTandI

I prefer brick and mortar store shopping, savings aside, to try and keep those hobbyshop doors open, I will pay more. But thank you for the heads up, because it looks like on-line supply may be called for, unless the music stores carry it.

r0gruth

Try music stores that sell guitars and drums.
Roger

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: r0gruth on March 15, 2013, 10:11:43 PM
Is there any otherkind? :D Ha Ha! He He!... Hey Hey! My My! Roc...........ah I think you might know what follows, "They" already get enough free advertising here. ::)("He" is "something to be seen" live though)

r0gruth

Quote from: GG1onFordsDTandI on March 17, 2013, 07:23:42 PM
Quote from: r0gruth on March 15, 2013, 10:11:43 PM
Is there any otherkind? :D Ha Ha! He He!... Hey Hey! My My! Roc...........ah I think you might know what follows, "They" already get enough free advertising here. ::)("He" is "something to be seen" live though)

Yes,there are.
Roger