EZ Turnouts and Dynamis - are they talking to each other or not?

Started by CCandR, February 17, 2013, 05:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCandR

We are in the midst of trying to set up EZ Track Turnouts for operation by the E-Z Command Dynamis system for our N-gauge layout.  As an example, one of the turnouts is Item # 44876.

We have successfully programmed 2 different locomotives to run on the system, but we can't figure out how to get the E-Z Turnout and the Dynamis to recognize each other so that we can operate the switches.  Until now, they are mounted but the wires have not been connected to anything.  To be able to control these switches remotely, we are trying to use the Dynamis system but without success. 

We tried two different ways to power the switch by 1) wiring to the low-voltage transformer we use to light the buildings or 2) directly to the track but don't know how to tell if the switch itself is powered even if it is plugged into the track.

So, we have 2 questions:
1)   How to test a switch to see if it will work if it does have power?  (we have only used manual switching)
2)   How to know that any one switch is sending a signal to the Dynamis?

In looking through the forums here and elsewhere, there are references to a "set button between the ties" or a program button that you press once or twice and (sooner or later) (some little light somewhere on the turnout?) you'll see that your programming is successful.  (Some of these suggestions may have been in an HO forum.)

There certainly doesn't seem to be any little button anywhere in between ties or anywhere along the track; the only parts I can find are the slider along the track to move the switch manually, as well as the slider under the points that allows them to move manually.

Then there is the black box into which the switch is wired - it has a sliding button on the cover.  But moving this button from one side to another doesn't do anything whether the black box is wired to the track or a separate transformer.  The track is alive – an engine on an adjacent track reacts appropriately to the Dynamis. 

How can we be sure that the switch 1) has power? And 2) is sending a signal to the Dynamis so that we can give it an address? 

Is the switch supposed to be sending a signal to a certain address?  (like all locomotives start out at 03)?  If so, what is that address?  Or should it just show up when we have the Dynamis hooked up correctly and the switch is powered, and, if so, how would we know that?

Joe Satnik

Dear CC & R,

The item number you gave (#44876) is a remote control crossover, without any kind of DCC decoder. 

At this time I see no N scale decoder equipped turnouts in the Bachmann on-line catalog.  (Many are offered in HO.)

You will need an accessories power source (typically 12 to 16 Volts AC) to feed the electrical control switches which activate the crossover's dual-coil solenoids and move its points. 

Bachmann recommends their 44212 power pack, which has a 16 Volt AC accessories output. 

There are many wal-wart transformers sitting unused in drawers.  If you find one with an output in the 12 to 16 Volt range, you could use that.   (AC or DC outputs should work.)

Almost all DC power packs (with speed and direction control) have AC accessories terminals.  If you have a hobby shop near by, they probably have boxes full of used (small, starter set sized) power packs under the counter for a very reasonable price.   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

CCandR

Joe -
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and instructive reply.  Currently, we are only trying to figure out, with one switch, how to make it work, figuring if we do that, then we wire in the others.

We do have a separate transformer that can provide the electrical output. 

So, if we wire the switch to the transformer, how do we operate the switch? Should the directional button on the black switch control box do it? Or turning the transformer off and on?

I understand that you are saying that no matter what, there is no DCC component in the switch and the Dynamis cannot control the switch.  The Dynamis instruction manual certainly has instructions that lead you to believe that it will (pg 15, pg 20).  If not the Dynamis, what type of remote control does work?  Does "remote control" in this situation mean wired, not wireless?  Using the switch buttons or transformer to send the signal?

Thanks for your help - at least we have an important answer to part of our question.

CCandR

Mike C

If you wire the switch to the new transformer, the button on the switch control box will control the switch.
To get the DCC system to control the switch you will need something like this http://www.lenzusa.com/1newsite1/AccDecoders.html to control the switch. I think the instructions for wireing this up should be in the manual link on that page also.....Mike

Joe Satnik

CC&R,

Yes, in this case "remote" means "wired", and "the length of the green cable" away.

A. Connect the (two conductor) red cable from your accessories power source to the left side of your black controller. 

B. Plug the (three conductor) green cable into the top side of the black controller. 

1. Slide the black controller's switch button left or right to select the direction you want your train to go.

2. Press the button down briefly (less than one-half second) to energize the solenoid and move the turnout's points. 

You would have to make some kind of adapter to connect the two green cable connectors in parallel,

or, cut and splice the green cables together and use just one (3 conductor) connector to drive both sets of points.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

lesklar

Yes, you will only be able to use the black box switch.
Be careful trying to hook-up directly to the green wires coming out of the switch. These are electromagnetic coils (essentially tiny wire wrapped on a spool) and if you provide continous power to these wires, you will burn out the coil and the automatic switch will NOT  >:( work (or worse, it will melt stuff).
The black box that came with your switch hooks up to the AC power (red wires) from a transformer (Accessory output on the Bachmann DC controller). The three green wires hookup to the black box. When you flip the switch, the black box sends a short burst of power to "throw" the switch. Power is not on the whole time to the switch. In fact, you can manually switch the track back (using the little side lever on the track) and the black box switch does not have to be changed.
The link of the Lenz DCC switch controller allows you to get rid of the black box and wire directly to the green wires. Check to make sure that this DCC controller only sends "pulsed" output to the switch (it should indicate that it is specifically for twin coil switches).

ED209

Hi CCandR,
I sent you a response to your pm, hope it was helpful.  Similar to the replies that you received here, the turnout doesn't have a dcc decoder so you won't be able to activate the switch using your dynamis.  I had the same question a few weeks ago when I started to add the ez track turnouts to my small layout.  I was hoping that I could control everything from my dynamis but discovered that most n scale turnouts, regardless of brand, does not have this functionality straight out of the package.  Bachmann offers this in HO scale but not n.  For now I'm just using the little black lever on the side of the track to manually switch the turnout.  I was looking into the digitrax DS64 but don't want more wires everywhere.

Regards,
Ed-209