News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

F7 A/B

Started by wb2002, February 18, 2013, 12:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wb2002

Who else makes F7 A/B locomotives, Union Pacific, other than Bachmann? I have searched but find only a couple that does.

Thanks . . . .

wb2002

Doneldon

wb-

Just about every manufacturer has made F7 units over the years. I don't know which
ones you have aleady discovered and I guess I'm not comfortable refering you to other
manufacturers from the Bachmann web site. It's one thing to kibbitz various products
but a direct refer away, well, that's just going too far for me. 

-- D

Jerrys HO

To add to Doneldon-- Why would you buy another just look at these baby's...

Jerry

wb2002

Thanks. I already have 7 Bachmann F7A's and 3 F7B's. I have also converted all 10 units to DCC. Since I purchased the last 4 F7A's (converted 2 to F7B's), I now have to modify the trucks to fit the Kadee's coupler so the units are closer to each other and NOT look like the picture you provided. I had already done this a few years back when I was active in the hobby and now that I am returning, the stored units that I had already modified did not run well. That is when I purchased 4 new F7A's (to use new trucks & pickups) and used the shell off previous units. Since I am using the new trucks, I have to hack away at the trucks so that the consists (ABBA) will look natural.

wb2002

Jerrys HO

wb
Now I remember you. you had two or three posts about the same thing back in January.
I noticed Jeff W had an interesting thought of using a draw bar and I am actually looking into that for another project. I believe that would be the best way to go and sounds like it would be easier than hacking away at the trucks.

Jerry

MPSOUTHERN

I have not seen many details about the "NEW" F7. Will they have the same smooth running flywheel drive as the FA and other new Bachmann diesels? I hope so because I've had two on backorder from Micro Mark for what seems like forever.

wb2002

The new F7's does not have a flywheel and the motor is different. The pickup is also different and NOT using the chassis as part of the  circuit.  Also, the chassis is quite a bit lighter (think it is aluminum). I am using "Union Pacific" and the color is also different than the original (it didn't matter to me because I used the old shells - for A & B units since they all fit well.) I even ordered couplers from Proto - short shank, and they did NOT make things any better.  At this point, I cannot think of anything else to do than modify the trucks if, I want to achieve the close coupling. Kadee provides the instructions with their kit to do this.

wb2002

MPSOUTHERN

Thanks for the info WB, although I am a bit disappointed to hear this.The ones I am getting will have DCC and Sound,so hopefully they will still be smooth runners.

jbrock27

Hey Jerry, speaking of those "babies", what ever happened with your project with them?
I saw that later on, after your initial posts, you requested Rich G's help with it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

jb

That is still on my project bench and is going to be done as soon as I finish a couple of other projects I have going on. I did take the liberty to check all the components and there is room to convert the new ones to the Plus's motor and flywheel but I think I am just going to fit the Plus version with a decoder and have an ABBA setup.

Jerry

union pacific 844

man i love thews  my favorite RR

jbrock27

Good Jerry.
Personally, I think the Plus models run better than the current non-flywheel B-man models.
Keep Calm and Carry On