Information on the new Bachmann #4 and #6 turnouts (operation, reliability, etc)

Started by Fred Klein, November 11, 2012, 11:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Klein

Hi,

I've been working on my N-scale layout, as time permits, off and on for about 2 years and have decided to change things around a bit. Originally I was using a few of the Bachmann EZ track turnouts and have to say, the quality and reliability left a LOT to be desired. Since then, Bachmann has announced the new #4 and #6 turnouts and I was wondering what, if any, positive or negative experiences anyone may have encountered with them.

Thanks in advance,

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

brokemoto

See the other topic on this.

I have two on which I powered the frogs.  They work well.  I ave run both steam and diesel, of various manufacturers over them in both directions.  I havepushed up to twelve cars in both directions through them.

The only problem locomotive has been the Life Like SW's picking the points, but then, LL SWs like to pick both points and frogs of Atlas code 80 turnouts.  I did have one Micro-Trains caboose with the springs in the wheels pick the points in the facing direction, but turning it the other direction solved that problem.  Other MT cabooses with springs in the wheels did not do this.

Fred Klein

Thanks for the information and pointer to the other topic. Sounds like the newer turnouts are OK. I guess I'll find out soon enough - I'm getting some as Christmas presents from my wife (she made me order them - LOL). As I get around to using the turnouts, I'll try to post my experiences here. Again, thank you for the information.

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Fred Klein

Well, I received my new-style Bachmann turnouts for Christmas (a BIG thank you to my wife for indulging me in my hobby  ;D). All I can say regarding the new turnouts is WOW! What a big difference from the original (old-style) Bachmann turnouts. The design is so much better. The track is recessed to accept the points so that the path is always smooth and the wheels can't "pick" the points. Currently, I am using the turnouts manually - I am running 3 - #6s and 2 - #4s - but hope to get them wired in for DCC remote control (with a separate control unit) as time and money allows. The fact that Bachmann has designed them so that the user can change the frog from unpowered to powered is a huge plus in my opinion. Of the five turnouts, only one has had an issue. One of the #4s had a slight burr at the rail gap by the frog. A little judicious filing solved the problem. The rest ran perfectly straight out of the box. As a matter of fact, I'm so pleased with the new turnouts that I will probably be adding more in the future, as time and money allows. As I get the turnouts wired in for remote control, I will post my experiences here.

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

lesklar

My wife got me a bunch of n scale train stuff for Christmas! Love the wife for indulging me as well!

I got a bunch of turnouts and some of the crossovers, and all of them except one worked flawlessly.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,22867.0.html

I discussed what I found in this forum. A little care and it works good and I have an extra screw ???

ED209

I have a recent post on my turnout experience.  I have 2 Bachmann #6 turnouts, the right hand turnout worked fine, however the left hand turnout (part#44859) had problems.  Thanks to the helpful advice from Joe Satnik and lesklar, I opened up the turnout and adjust the gear and rack.  Works fine now.  Overall I think the Bachmann turnouts are good (besides the tweak), I just wish that they had dcc decoders installed the turnout so that I could operate it from my dynamis controller.