News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Time to convert

Started by AndyJB, February 20, 2013, 07:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyJB

My Grandsons layout is finally progressing.
The track is laid, the wiring is almost finished and next I want to convert a steam loco to DCC/sound.
Which of the following would be the easiest loco to convert, I ask as this will be my first conversion.
Thomas
Percy
Bill & Ben
Donald & Douglas
Toby
James
Edward
Emily
Also would you have the twins run separately or as one unit.

AJW98Productions

Quote from: AndyJB on February 20, 2013, 07:13:53 AM
My Grandsons layout is finally progressing.
The track is laid, the wiring is almost finished and next I want to convert a steam loco to DCC/sound.
Which of the following would be the easiest loco to convert, I ask as this will be my first conversion.
Thomas
Percy
Bill & Ben
Donald & Douglas
Toby
James
Edward
Emily
Also would you have the twins run separately or as one unit.
As for DCC I have no clue how to wire an engine, although many members do, but I would run the twins as separate units :).

Shawn

Wiring an engine to DCC is very simple.  Just match the four wires in the engine to the matching wires on the chip.  Takes about 5 minutes.  The catch is finding space in the locomotive body for the chip!  For that reason, I'd do Toby first.  He's very roomy inside

AndyJB

Thanks guys, any more thoughts on how to configure the twins, run together or separately and why?

BassTbone

That would be according to your DCC controller.  There are sites explaining how to set multi-train settings with helper and "bankers". 

I used to have the Prod. Express.   It had a feature for that.

jward

i always configure my locomotives to run individually. that way, youcan use them seperately, but set p a consist for them if you want to use them together. on a decent dcc system a consist is easy to set up throgh the command station.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA