News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GG1 traction tires

Started by mikemarxs, February 19, 2013, 01:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemarxs

How do you know if traction tires have worn out on my GG1 and should be replaced?

mikemarxs,
           I would think that if the tires are... Cracked, loose on the wheel, hard like stone, worn way below the tire groove, slipping even after cleaned, out of round or falling off the wheel, it is time to replace.
           If this is not the case, keep on running them.

TrainmanGene

They stretch from pressure depending on how long a train it's pulling and come off. You need to inspect the wheels often to make sure because they can run with a missing tire or two.  The old K Line tires with treads on them seemed to last the longest, I wish they were still available.
Sueme Valley System

TrainmanGene

Using two dental probes makes it easy to replace traction tires im most cases. They can be had cheap at dollar up shops at most flea markets. I think I paid like $3.00 for a five pack.
Sueme Valley System

GG1onFordsDTandI

Dental probes work great. Blunting the tips and edges on the good ones  helps prevent cutting of rubber. I have used thin o-rings doubled up until my hobby store restocked my tire. Not the best but kept me rollin'. If you keep extra tires long term, store them sealed and out of the light and they will dry rot much slower.