DCC decoder for Bachmann HO 060 with slope tender Cat. #50614

Started by rkanik, February 20, 2013, 02:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkanik

I received the HO 060 DC as a gift.  Would like to know if it can be converted to DCC - Prefer with sound?

richg

Isolate the two motor connections. You will have to hardwire. I looked at the diagram and the tender is not DCC ready.
Just follow the instructions on the decoder to connect to the motor, headlight and driver pickups. Add pickups and metal wheels to the tender.
I am assuming you have DCC experience since you asked about this particular loco.
Remove the weight and drill holes for a 28mm speaker. Stuff a Micro Tsunami in the tender. Get some bird shot and figure out how to put it in the tender to replace the missing weight.

If you do not want sound, a DZ125 decoder will fit just fine in the loco that way you do not need six wires between the loco and tender. That decoder is about the size of a dime, just a little thicker.
If it is not obvious, forget the smoke.

I would never attempt sound but you asked the question so I am giving you suggestions that would work but really a waste of time and money for sound.
I did the Bachmann Plymouth 0-6-0 switcher with a DZ1225 but it was a challenge. The 0-6-0 pickups are rather poor.

Rich