Locomotive number programming problem. Spectrum 4-4-0.

Started by rwn9038k, February 20, 2013, 03:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwn9038k

Hello:
> I have a Bachmann # 80130 locomotive equipped with Tsunami Sound. When I try to program the operating number to 124, the function switches become inoperative. If I return the operating number back to the factory setting of 03, or if I set it at 24 everything works fine. I would like to set it to 124, as that is the number on the locomotive.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
> Robert Nelson

timhar47

I am not real up on DCC yet, but logically, 124 seems to me ike it would fall into the 'extended' address (four digit range) which, on the NCE is a separate choice to make before you enter in the 124.

bapguy

What DCC system do you use? On most 124 is a 2 digit address. When you programm the address or make any CV changes, the loco should lurch on the track. This indicates the changes took place. With Tsunami decoders, programm the address, exit programming, lift the loco off the track then put it back on. See if this helps.  Joe

jward

on digitrax the 2 digit addresses go up to 127, 128 starts the 4 digit addresses.

it may seem like an odd split at first, but remember anything digital operates on a binary count, with each digit in binary representing a power of 2. 128 is one of those binary digits.

i realize this probably doesn't shed much light on your problem. but try entering 124 as a 2 digit address.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MPSOUTHERN

I believe with Soundtraxx decoders you have to go from short address to long address and then back to short address. Try programming from #3 to #1000. Make sure it responds to #1000. Then from #1000 back to #124 and see if that works.

barlojo1

Re: addressing Locos: FYI
Two digit addresses are from 1 to 127. Four digit addresses are from 0001 to 9999.  124 is a two digit address, 0124 is a four digit address. On a NCE cab 0124 shows as *124. Keep in mind that two digit addresses are also used as consist addresses in CV 19 and in your system. If a consist was built using 124 (default is 127, 126, 125, 124 etc) and is still active in your system or the consist was not deleated you my have a conflict in your system.

John B

Limey

I had a similar problem with a Spectrum 3 truck Climax DCC equipped.  The Climax is a Demonstrator #3 and I wanted to program it for # 3000 but the decoder would not accept it on the 4 digit address system. I ended up just programming it for #300 still on the 4 digit system.  This seems to be some kind of quirk with Bachmann decoders.
      My system is a Digitrax Zephyr DCS50 and I followed the manual to the letter and of course used the required 1000 ohm half watt resistor but after seven or eight tries I just gave up on it.

Regards, Limey.