News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

440 Seems small

Started by mickeykelley, February 22, 2013, 01:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickeykelley

I was just looking at and comparing several of my Bachmann engines and the Spectrum 440 seems  kind of small.  The cabin area for example does not look like the regular Bachmann figures would even fit in there.  I know in real life it's really smaller than newer engines like the 280, Shay, etc.

Ted Yarbrough

Mickey,
Find a video or two of the Eureka & Pallisades loco #4 running at Durango (likely on u-tube, but several commercial ones available). It is a SMALL loco and cab. I did find a better engineer and fireman figure at a train show. Love the loco!
Happy Rails To You,
Ted

Loco Bill Canelos

The movies of it operating on the D&S are amazing in that the loco is so unbelievably small.  I believe it was rated to pull only one car on the D&S grades!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

Narrow gauge locos built circa 1870s were not large locos by any means. Here's a photo of a model of a c. 1872 Baldwin 2-6-0 next to a K-27.

The early-style cabs were not designed for standing upright inside. The fireman stood on the apron/tender, which was tall enough (barely) for him to shovel and not hit his head. The engineer sat in the cab, often with not a of legroom.

Here's a good look at what the floor would have looked like. There would have been a seat on the side of the cab that would allow the engineer to not have to sit right on the wood, but it wouldn't have been more than 12" or so above, much like the front seat of a car.

This is a different loco with a slightly taller cab, but shows the lack of headroom for the fireman. (That figure stands about 5' 6"). The engineer is sitting on the windowsill instead of a seat--also a common position for engineers, if not exactly OSHA compliant.

Later,

K

mickeykelley

It just seems so small compared to the others that it doesn't look scale, the cab that is.  But obviously it is. Thanks for replies.

Sleeping Bear

For those of you into the 4-4-0...here is something you may be interested in... http://www.leviathan63.com/

Later All.....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks Gerry,  Nice video.  Even the Standard Gauge 4-4-0's are dwarfed by those big passenger cars.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!