DCC control for Williams locos.

Started by stationmaster12, February 22, 2013, 05:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stationmaster12

I'm looking to add DCC to O gauge locomotives because I have A Digitrax Zephyr that I want to use. Has anyone installed a DCC decoder on a WBB loco? And if so what decoder was used? I'm not sure what type of decoder to use. I want to install them in the two motor diesels. Thanks!
Keep God first in all that you do.

Burlington Route

Procraft has a DCC 3.5amp Tsunami board, but I too want to see the new DCC board that's coming out just to see the physical size it uses up.

phillyreading

Because of power requirements for the Williams engine having two motors, or 6 amps, you may have to go with G scale DCC decoder, not 100% sure but you need to find out the power requirements before spending money on a DCC system.

Lee F.

stationmaster12

Great! I'll look into it. I just got an MTH Protosound 3.0 loco so I was entertaining running O gauge trains with DCC. I saw the NS heritage SD90's in the new catalog. And I thought hum..those would look and sound great with Tsunami decoders! 

phillyreading

There was a discussion a while back on the general discussion board about MTH  TIU and DCC, if it was compatible with H.O. trains. So you might want to refer to that article.

You need to remember that the Tsunami decoders are for use with H.O. trains to the best of my knowledge and may not take the full power of an O gauge transformer. If they make Tsunami decoder for G gauge trains it will probally work as they have the power rating for more current.

Lee F.

r0gruth

The low prices and simplicity of Williams Trains is a large factor in attracting persons to Williams and O gauge three rail.

I too would like to see many of the things mentioned to be available but not if it raises the cost.

How often have you heard someone say "I bought a new ????? loco and it did not work when I opened and put it on the track".

How many times do you hear that about Williams locos?Why mess up good stuff with all of those electronics?
Roger

phillyreading

Quote from: r0gruth on February 26, 2013, 10:54:59 PM
The low prices and simplicity of Williams Trains is a large factor in attracting persons to Williams and O gauge three rail.

I too would like to see many of the things mentioned to be available but not if it raises the cost.

How often have you heard someone say "I bought a new ????? loco and it did not work when I opened and put it on the track".

How many times do you hear that about Williams locos?Why mess up good stuff with all of those electronics?
Roger, I agree with you about keeping the electronic control off the Williams items or they will be just as pricey as brand L.

Lee F.

TrainmanGene

I think WBB will jump on the band wagon one day but your right about prices, you need a second mortage to afford the new brand L trains anymore. I have one williams reverse unit go belly up on me about a year ago and picked up a new one for about $20.00 from a dealer online and it was about a 15 minute job to replace it.
Sueme Valley System

stationmaster12

WOW! all of this started because I thew a question out there! I was simply looking for options for multi-train control. I agree with most of you about the price point going up as features are added. Look at the new GP-30 with sound...$200.00 everywhere I've seen it. Kinda pricey for a Williams diesel I think. I wish that was not the case, but that is why I paid over $300.00 for a starter set from MTH with sound and four different options of control (my choice) I love Williams locos for their bullet-poof construction, just would love to see a DCC socked  to make them DCC ready that's all.

TrainmanGene

Discussions are one of the fun features of model railroading lol. I miss the Friday night arguments (discussions ) at a defunct local train store years ago. But seriously I think morst railroaders want the digital sounds and controls. I have both and Have found some great bargains on the big scale size conventional locomotives. The GP30 is in demand now but later it might drop a little but considering when other companies are charging $200 is a pretty good deal for a sound equiped scale size locomotive and when you compare the Williams By Bachmann trains made today compared to early Williams they really came a long way.
Sueme Valley System

stationmaster12

All of this DCC talk is great. I have settled on what I want to do for my new layout...wait for it......CONVENTIONAL CONTROL! I know I started all of this DCC vs conventional stuff, but I realized that in conventional control I can run any brand of three rail loco and not worry about compatibility. For my MTH PS 3.0 locos I will get a DCS commander and use it when I run the PS 3.0 locos and hold on to my Lionel power packs. I want to build the bulk of my O gauge fleet with WBB locos so that is why I'm sticking with conventional as well. Thank you all for your input it was all helpful.

phillyreading

A little info about DCS and TMCC, you can run the Williams engines with the handheld remote using track power feature, you adjust the voltage with the remote.
Just be sure to put two of the same model engines together, like two SD-45's or two GP-9's.

Lee F.

r0gruth

By the way,I have nothing against any of the forms of train control.
I have TMCC and seldom use it.I think I'm too old fashioned.
Don't care much for the various train sounds either.I do like whistle and bell sounds.
I especially do not like the talking engineer,dispatcher sounds.Never could here
them talking when I was near a loco.I would rather hear the wheels on the rails.
I do operate several locos with the sounds on especially when I have visitors.
They always seem to be impressed.
Most importantly,they are your trains and you can run them any way you like.
Even more important,have FUN!
Roger