News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA heavy 4-8-2

Started by SteamGene, August 18, 2007, 11:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Has anybody else had problems with the leading truck of the USRA heavy Mountain?  One of mine just doesn't want to stay on the track.  I've checked the wheels and they are in gauge.  I'm trying to figure out a way to add some weight to the truck, but that doesn't look real feasable. 
Any solutions? 
This, btw, is the George Washington version of the C&O J2
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

iratiger

same problem, but i can't give you a good solution. mine works somewhat with a very small spring under the leading wheels!  dick

lanny

Gene,

No doubt you have already done this ... but ... using a piece of very fine grit sand paper, 'burnish/enlarge' the hole of the truck arm through which the screw attaches the pilot truck to the body. In fact, if you can get it apart, I would 'burnish' all surfaces that the wheel/axle touches including the area of the chassis where the truck is attached to get as 'friction free' movement as possible. (Since your wheels are in guage, it might be possible that some surface that contacts the pilot truck or some surface of the pilot truck itself is causing the derailement.)

One other possibility? Perhaps the pilot truck frame is slightly warped? If so, I am not sure how that would be fixed.

hope you get it solved,

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Hoople

Gene, I know the feeling. If I have a switch set for curved, and the train is coming from the straight side, it will derail the pilot, even if the switch isn't sprung/held shut.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

SteamGene

Lanny, I haven't tried burnishing the hole, but that might be a good idea.  I'll try that. Thanks.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Stephen Warrington

I had to slightly enlarge the pilot truck mounting hole on one for a friend his would derail anywhere not just switches also added two small weights hehad laying around I forgot the size of them but now it runs like a champ only complaint I hear now is that @&$* blue headlight and wrong engine number on the tender.

Stephen

SteamGene

Where did he mount the weights?  I don't see room for even a 1/4 wheel weight.   I think enlarging the hole might be the idea.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Stephen Warrington

Hi Gene,

This was a few years back right after they came out, I don't remember exactly where he mounted the weights I do know after we enlarged the mounting hole the truck stayed on the rails much better.

Stephen

SteamGene

I used a drill bit, going upwards until the first bit didn't fit the hole and reamed both holes for the leading truck and the one hole for the trailing truck.  After putting the leading truck on correctly, things seem much better.  Much better.  I'm going to try the same trick on a BLI light Mike. 
Trackwork concerns have slowed me down.  Maybe I can high ball again!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

hotrainlover

I had a problem like that with one of my 4-8-4's.  I glued a washer to the top of the truck, after I reemed out the hole for the screw shaft.  I then painted the washer and weathered it.  I have to point it out for others to see...

I have not had any problems since.

hotrainlover

Stephen Warrington

Gene,

Glad you got the ole gal fixed up and back on the mainline. I am fixing to redo my little double loop 4x8 so the extra 12 feet of yard track 3 feet on all 4 tracks is giving me room to park stuff I cant get back in the boxes like 55" covered hoppers Accurail and  50' boxcars Athearn and a few others I bought that no longer have boxes.

Stephen