Bachmann Overland Limited Greyhound Engine and Tender Set

Started by phicrappazappa, February 22, 2013, 05:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phicrappazappa

I have this mentioned set. The gatefold box tells the tale of the Union Pacific Greyhound engine, etc.,etc.. However, it clearly states repeatedly that engine #809 did this and that etc.. My engine is clearly marked 806. Is this a well known snafu?

Desertdweller

It isn't a snafu.  The 800's consisted of three classes of 4-8-4's (800-844).  They were used interchangeably on both passenger trains and freight trains.

When the locos were new, they were assigned to passenger trains, especially heavyweight trains that would have taxed the early Diesels.  Later, they were used as protection power for passenger trains in case of Diesel failure.  The last use of these on a regular passenger train was on the North Platte-Denver Local in 1955.  This train was a remnant of the "Overland Limited" and ran behind steam for its entire career.

Other uses for the 800's were on troop trains, express and mail trains, and fast freight trains such as stock trains.

Some engines of these classes were painted two-tone gray to match the cars in the "Overland" paint scheme.

Some of these engines were double headed with other large steam locomotives like Big Boys and Challengers,  They also worked with Diesels and gas turbines.  When worked with a gas turbine, the steam engine always ran behind the turbine, to prevent ashes being ingested in the turbine.

The last 800, FEF-3 844, was never retired.  It went directly from regular use to excursion service, where it still serves.

Les

GG1onFordsDTandI

Number variations are nice but I think the story vs wrong engine number is a legit complaint if PCZ bought his engine due to the story. Say you just watched the history channel and wanted to do a civil war layout. You find a couple of sets with the stories on the boxes from a company with a mostly prototypical reputation. Would you accept a #4 W&ARR Rogers "general" or a #5 "Texas" as correct?(google Andrews raiders if this getting by you, then Kelly's raiders for a more modern follow up) You might keep them anyway cause you like them(like my gramps did for 29yrs with Lionel) Or return them on principal like I would because it's an obvious bait/switch, false/misleading advertising, or just good ol' corporate crap'ola (an even better reason for return). If a locos number on packaging has real historical meaning, the "other" numbers should be packaged differently no exceptions! Buyer beware? Sure, I Centrally Scrutinize, but watch out, PCZ' just might decide Humor Doesn't Belong in railroading and decide to ride his Pygmy Pony to your place and Hit You Upside the Head with a Lead Filled Snowshoe.(peek-a- boo!) Now if you'll excuse my I'm in need of a Pink Napkin to clean With a Circular Motion, these Pancake and Muffin crumbs before they attract Rats, which in turn will attract Weasels, and then Ill never have time to teach Johnny to Read Man I can hear the Trouble Commin already, or is that the Voice of my Conscious speaking?(the preceding silliness brought to you today by a mind totally warped by the music of Frank Zappa)