News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD45 disassemble the engine for repairs

Started by tbactrain72, February 26, 2013, 05:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbactrain72

I have a Spectrum F45 (oops, SD45) diesel that I need to do some repairs on.  How do I get the shell off and disassemble it.

Thank you.

Ted

bapguy

Look on the bottom. Is there a screw or screws holding the fuel tank on? If so remove the tank, there should be 2 screws that will need to be removed. You may also have to remove the couplers as well. Joe

tbactrain72

The fuel tank snaps off and then there are 2 very short screws that seem to hold the motor on - I can't tell exactly other than the motor seems loose now.  But the shell is still firmly in place.  There are 4 tab-like items on the "floor" of the engine under the front and rear trucks.  I tried to get them loose but I'm not sure which way to move then to make them unlatch.

bapguy

Usualy the tabs are pressed inwards. Can you take a photo and post it? It might make it easier to see how to do it. To post photos you'll need a photobucket or flickr account. If you haven't posted photos before search posting photos on this site.  Joe

Jerrys HO

The SD45 shell's are held on with the couplers. I have two and had both off doing some wiring to the trucks. One was used and had a wire frayed going to the trucks. Be careful when you put the shell back on that the wires for the trucks are secured to the front of the frame or the shell will catch the wires and do what I believe someone did to the used one I purchased.

Jerry

tbactrain72

bapguy:  Here's the link to the pic's (I hope)  First pic you can see the tab just in front of the fuel tank.  The second pic is harder to see the tab near the middle wheel of the truck (my thumb is on the rear wheel.  There are 4 tabs in total.  http://s1310.beta.photobucket.com/user/ted158/media/Bac%20Mann/100_7559_zps597c24b3.jpg.html

Jerry HO:  I'll give this a try.  Sounds like it might do the "trick".

Jerrys HO

tba

Took pics for you to see. Notice no screw mounts on shell. Like I said the couplers hold the shell on. Undo the screw holding the coupler and slide the coupler box out.

Hope this helps
Jerry