News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

91199 2-4-2

Started by grcaprez, February 22, 2013, 03:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grcaprez

I am now the proud owner of a 2-4-2. I really like the new drive block and the moving valve rods. They move in sync with the piston rod instead of 90 degrees ahead, but that doesn't matter, the movement looks neat.
It has a steam pump on the left water tank that would be very valuable as a spare part...

What is it's function? Is it used to pump water out of the tank, like for firefighting, or does it suck water INTO the tank from a nearby stream?

I also take it the wire going down beside the tank is the steam exhaust, so where does the water output of the pump hook in?

Members knowledgeable in logging or mining technology please help!

Gion

armorsmith

Gion,

I don't own one, and can not see the engineers side of the loco in the catalog, I am going to guess that the 'pump' you are referring to would be the 'air pump' for the air brakes.  If I am correct there should also be a cylindrical air receiver tank somewhere near by.  I am not aware of any of the locomotives produced by Bachmann being supplied with any form of logging equipment, which a water pump would have been.

Hopefully one of the owners of one of the Lyn locos will chime in and keep me in line.

Bob C.

grcaprez

Bob

thank you for your reply. No it's not the air pump. My 2-4-2 has several additions that the Lyn didn't have, like a generator on the right hand side smokebox and the air pump on the fireman's side of the smokebox. The water pump sits atop the water tank on the fireman's side.

On  Ebay look at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachmann-G-Scale-Train-1-22-5-Steam-2-4-2-Locomotive-Green-with-Black-91199-/200839228923?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2ec2f36dfb

and you will see the thing between sand and steam dome.

Gion

aspoz

I reckon it's probably a firefighting pump based on ones I saw on the back of the tenders of locos around here 40 or 50 years ago.  I was told that they had them for two reasons - first to access areas of shunting (swiching) yards which it was difficult to access with a fire truck because of parked wagons, and secondly for firefighting in remote locations out in the bush which were not accessible by road.  Given the propensity for ash and cinders from steam locos to start fires in the summer both seemed reasonable.  However, I don't remember tank engines with them.  I've kept the one on mine (my line is set in the Tasmanian bush) on the basis that I might need firefighting capacity  :)

grcaprez

Thank you very much!

Gion