News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Yard ladders in a tight space

Started by Stephen Warrington, August 18, 2007, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Warrington

Hi guys,

I am expanding my little 4 track yard down the hallway. Orginally built I used a #4 Atlas turnout on the yard lead now with bigger motive power mainly 2-10-2s a Sd40 or two I need to make it bigger how much more space will a #6 require and would I need to relay the whole yard lead and  ladder track?

I should know this from helping to build a monster 40 track yard at my former club but that been at least 10 years ago.

there's the lead in question sorry for all the big hooks blocking the way but can't get new pics right now the batteries in the camera are dead.
Thanks
Stephen

SteamGene

Steve,
Atlas #4:
length of straight rail - 9"
   "      "   diverging  " - 7.5
distance, outside to outside at 7.5" - 2.25"

Atlas #6
length of straight rail - 12"
"         "  diverging " -   9.75"
distance, outside to outside at 9" - 1.75"

I think it's tear up the ladder time.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen Warrington

:( What I thought,just hope I have enough new turnouts on hand as the 1st one in the ladder is giving me trouble as well.

Stephen

Len

From the picture it appears you're using Cd100 rail track. In that case I would suggest using Peco SL-95 (RH) and SL-96 (LH) Medium switches. They are curved through the diverging track, similar to an Atlas "Snap-Switch", but with roughly a 36" radius (914mm) rather than 18". This should handle any of the locos you mentioned.

Using RR-Track to lay out a 10 track yard gives a switch ladder about 18" wide by 7' long vs Atlas Super #6 switches that take a space 20" wide by 9' long. The 2' difference in length translates into space for slightly longer yard tracks, giving more yard capacity, using the Peco Medium switches.

If you have locos you think even the 36" radius of the SL-95/96 Peco switches might not be large enough for, the SL-88/89 Peco switches have a 60" radius (1524mm) curve through the switch.

Using them gives a 10 track switch ladder that's 22" wide by 8-1/2' long, which is still a bit better than the Atlas Super #6 switches.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I do not know if their layout book still has the measurements diagrams in the back anymore,  but at one time,  Atlas had schematics showing their turnouts with measurements to inform the modeler as to how much space would be needed for certain applications.   
        Stephen,  if you are using Atlas turnouts,  and cannot find what I mentioned,  let me know via email and I will check thru my books downstairs to see if I still have those diagrams.   If so,  I will be glad to copy them and get them to you.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Stephen Warrington

Hi Len,

I am pretty well stuck with Atlas turnouts and yes I am using 20 year old track thats how long the yard has been in place down the hallway I am stuck with 4 tracks on a 1 foot x6 foot shelf cant make it wider or I couldnt get to my bedroom.

Well I discovered with some testing while sitting on a stool because I can't stand up over 15 minutes at a time that all my locos will go through a properly functioning #4 turnout including the 2-10-2s they don't like it but they can do it. Quite sure the HO scale engineers if Proto 2000 hadn'tleft them out would be saying keep a few big hooks  handy just in case lol.

I would swap over to better turnouts but I just had  major laser work done last Tuesday on my right eye and the total after Medicaid got done was a little over 8 grand so my modeling funds is now on a very frayed shoe string.

Glad I ordered my new IC GP40s when I did.

Stephen

Len

Stephen,

With the Atlas #4's or the Peco Medium turnouts you should be able to get 6 yard tracks on your board. There will be about 1-1/2" from the board edges to the front and rear tracks.

If you can ever make the change, your 2-10-2's will be happier on the Peco mediums because of the curved diverging rails. And they don't take any more space than the #4's.

Take care,
Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Stephen Warrington

Maybe a ways off in the future I can swap over to the Peco turnouts. How would I get 6 tracks on a 12" board right now the rear track has clearance problems with  big hooks so their on the outside track and if I space them any closer than my nerve damaged hands will cause pure chaos on a major scale.

Stephen

SteamGene

At two inch centers, I'm not sure you can do it.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"