News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ballast Regulator - Decoder Install

Started by Limey, March 08, 2013, 11:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

Well I finally got up enough guts to try and install a decoder in my ballast regulator. The install wiring etc is straight forward if you have done one before, however the tough part was figuring out where to put the decoder in such a small space.

To start with remove the coupler from the engineers end ( small cab ) this is just a push fit with two springy plastic tabs. compress the tabs and pull the coupler forward.

Next remove the rear truck, one screw hold it in, this makes it easier when you reinstall those two long wire pickups that run through the unit to the motor board.

There are two indents ( one each side ) that hold the motor and front trucks in place, very carefully spread the sides of the unit until these are released. you can then remove the whole motor front truck assembly.

As you look at the unit, on one side is a small PC board with the wires attached ( this is fitted into a nice slot on one side of the unit) there is just enough space on the other side of the motor to fit a DZ125 decoder.

Now looking at the PC board,  there are two copper clips that are covering four terminals, carefully remove them.
   The wiring hookup is as follows:-  With writing on the PC board facing you and the Red and Black wires to the left the wires from the decoder are  connected to the four terminals in this order,  RED  GREY  BLACK  ORANGE.  since there no lights on the Ballast Regulator the White, Blue and Yellow wires can be clipped off.

I installed my DZ125 head down so that the wires ran over the top of the motor to the PC board

The really tricky part was feeding those two long pickup wires back through the body of the Ballast Regulator to the rear trucks.
    Lots of patience and some bad words. Get these wires in place, relocate the motor and front truck assembly, reinstall the front coupler then lastly reinstall the rear truck.

I hope this helps somebody who might want to do this install.  Sorry I can't do pics. I am still trying to get my head round this Windows 8.

Regards, Limey.

rogertra

What, pray tell, is a "ballast regulator" and why would it need a decoder?  :)

To me, a ballast regulator is probably a tool used when you apply ballast to your model railroad track and you do that by hand, so why a decoder?

richg

Quote from: rogertra on March 08, 2013, 02:53:11 PM

To me, a ballast regulator is probably a tool used when you apply ballast to your model railroad track and you do that by hand, so why a decoder?

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=4358

richg

Quote from: Limey on March 08, 2013, 11:21:54 AM
Well I finally got up enough guts to try and install a decoder in my ballast regulator. The install wiring etc is straight forward if you have done one before, however the tough part was figuring out where to put the decoder in such a small space.

To start with remove the coupler from the engineers end ( small cab ) this is just a push fit with two springy plastic tabs. compress the tabs and pull the coupler forward.

Next remove the rear truck, one screw hold it in, this makes it easier when you reinstall those two long wire pickups that run through the unit to the motor board.

There are two indents ( one each side ) that hold the motor and front trucks in place, very carefully spread the sides of the unit until these are released. you can then remove the whole motor front truck assembly.

As you look at the unit, on one side is a small PC board with the wires attached ( this is fitted into a nice slot on one side of the unit) there is just enough space on the other side of the motor to fit a DZ125 decoder.

Now looking at the PC board,  there are two copper clips that are covering four terminals, carefully remove them.
   The wiring hookup is as follows:-  With writing on the PC board facing you and the Red and Black wires to the left the wires from the decoder are  connected to the four terminals in this order,  RED  GREY  BLACK  ORANGE.  since there no lights on the Ballast Regulator the White, Blue and Yellow wires can be clipped off.

I installed my DZ125 head down so that the wires ran over the top of the motor to the PC board

The really tricky part was feeding those two long pickup wires back through the body of the Ballast Regulator to the rear trucks.
    Lots of patience and some bad words. Get these wires in place, relocate the motor and front truck assembly, reinstall the front coupler then lastly reinstall the rear truck.

I hope this helps somebody who might want to do this install.  Sorry I can't do pics. I am still trying to get my head round this Windows 8.

Regards, Limey.

Nice to see when someone just jumps in and figures it out. I looked at the diagram and two wires seemed to extend toward the small cab but not having a good picture of the cab size as compared to the DZ125 decoder, I could not be sure. Nice job. Since it does come with DCC onboard, I figured there must be a way for the DCC ready.

Rich

Limey

Thanks richg,  coming from you, that to me is high praise indeed.  I have been very grateful to your contributions over the past couple of years and thought if  I could help someone else with this effort well why not.  Figuring out some of this stuff for DCC helps keep the grey cells moving, lets face it once you retire if you don't use em you lose em.

Regards, Limey.

kamerad47

I would have put a TCS keep alive decoder in it !!!!

rogertra

Quote from: richg on March 08, 2013, 02:59:03 PM
Quote from: rogertra on March 08, 2013, 02:53:11 PM

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=4358

Ah, now I see.

The "tamper".  :)

utdave

Limey      did you pull those wires out when you did it.      if so why not connect a string or smaller wire to pull wires back.   and thanks for the info  someday ill do mine and hope i find this comment and suggestion.      if this idea helps lets us all know 
Dave

Limey

utdave,
               These wires are actually two pieces of thin brass wire that are quite stiff and bent to shape around various parts of the unit, they are also hard wired to the PC board. They are power pickups from the rear trucks to the motor via the PC board. They are only about as thick as the decoder wire and pass through two holes in a bulkhead just in front of the rear cab. They are so thin I don't think you could attach anything to them to pull them back through the holes. They are a bit tricky to get through the holes but it can be done even by me with aging and shakey hands.
Regards, Limey.