Why will my train only run in one direction?

Started by Shado1980, March 03, 2013, 11:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shado1980

Hello all,

I have a Bachmann Santa Fe Flyer HO set with the standard controller. We were running the train tonight and the locomotive ran fine. After a short while I ran it again, now the locomotive only runs in one direction. When I switch the controller's direction switch, the locomotive will either run very slowly backward, or not at all. The locomotive runs fine up to full speed, the other way. I did notice that the controller did have a hot smell to it. 
I checked my other locomotives and they do the same thing, so I assume its sometning with the controller.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on a solution? Thanks.

NarrowMinded

Sounds like a burned/damaged switch inside the controller. if your the handy sort you could take it a part and see if you can repair the switch.

If you cant change the switch on the controller you could add another switch between you controller and track to switch the polarity and just leave the controller switch set to the good position.

That said, I would warn against using any electronics that are damaged and have any smell of burning, the burning smell is a red flag that what ever circuit protection if any did not work and there could be a chance of FIRE.

NM-Jeff

richg

Unless you have experience with lethal voltage, 120VAC is lethal, I would not open the case. I posted a link that shows photos of what the controller looks like and the Powers That Be deleted the link. Bachmann does not want to be responsible for anyone going into the power pack.

Rich

Shado1980

Thanks for the help. Yes I definately think its a bad switch in the controller. I'm not any good at repairing electronics so I might go the route of getting another controller (preferible the old style power pack) for the train.

Doneldon

Shado-

Look for a controller on line, at your LHS's used counter (if any) or on eBay. You will find things much cheaper than list price. You can purchase any brand of power pack as long as it is suitable for HO. Look for something with 12-14 volts DC and 2.0 amps or so. Less amperage is anemic and more can quickly escalate the price. Two amps is a good compromise between cost and output.

If I were you, I'd try to fix what you have before buying a replacement. Open your existing power pack and locate the reversing switch. See if it is physically intact and whether any wires are loose. You can solder a loose wire or replace a broken switch (take what you have to Radio Shack to look for a replacement which is identical or can be fitted into the case, and then retest the power pack. If it still doesn't work you'll proably want to replace it.

Don't fear the electricity. Unplug your power pack from the wall before you open the case and it is impossible for the electricity to hurt you. Don't plug it back in until you have finished any repairs inside. The 110-120 volts in your walls are lethal only under the most extraordinary circumstances, circumstances which you are exceedingly unlikely to encounter even if you work on your power pack while it is plugged in. You could get a little buzz or a very small burn from 110 volts but that's about the extent of injury you might experience. I've taken 110 volts many times, including by sticking my finger in a light socket when I was a kid, and I'm still here and typing with all 10 fingers. (Well, that's not strictly true. I type with about five to seven fingers, depending, since I actually never learned to type and consequently use only my "expanded" version of hunt-and-peck. However, I could use all ten since I still have all of them and all of them work just fine.)

Whichever way you go, good luck. And let us know how things turn out.

-- D

MPSOUTHERN

Shado, I'm not sure how large a layout you already have,but if you are starting out with the Flyer set you will want to expand. I would like to suggest upgrading to the EZ Command DCC System. The #10 button will still operate your DC loco, while #s 1-9 can be used to program the DCC loco that comes with it. I've had one for years and it still works great.

Shado1980

Thanks for the replies everyone  :)

I may try to replace the switch first to see if that does the trick. I always like to start with the cheapest and easiest (and safest!) solutions first.

If that dosn't do the trick, my LHS has a good selection of used controllers I can choose from. Also saw some controllers on eBay for cheap too. May just end up having to take that route.

What's wierd is that all three of my locomotives will run just fine in one direction, but not at all in the other. Makes me think its the direction switch.

jward

fi you want to be sure it's the power supply and not the locomotives, turn each of them around and run them. if they still run fine forward, but not reverse, the problem is in the locomotive. if they now run well in reverse but not forward, the problem is with the power pack.

just a thought....is your set still under warranty? if so, then you should be able to get the power pack replaced at no cost to you.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Shado1980

Quote from: jward on March 04, 2013, 04:55:58 PM
fi you want to be sure it's the power supply and not the locomotives, turn each of them around and run them. if they still run fine forward, but not reverse, the problem is in the locomotive. if they now run well in reverse but not forward, the problem is with the power pack.

just a thought....is your set still under warranty? if so, then you should be able to get the power pack replaced at no cost to you.

My train's actions match your description of a problem with the power pack.

I sent in the warranty card right after I bought the set, but never got anything back from Bachmann. Does anyone know if they send you a card or something. I bought the set back in January and still have the reciept, but bought it clearance at a Hobby Lobby so I can't take it back there.

I emailed Bachmann with no response yet   :(

Doneldon

Shado-

Bachmann doesn't return anything when you send in the warranty card. If the set is only a couple of months old the warranty is still in full effect. It doesn't make any difference what you paid for it; the warranty is good for a year after first purchase. I suggest sending a copy of your receipt even though they should have the information they need. This little detail might save a bunch of headaches later.

You can find the return address on your documentation or elsewhere on this web site.

You should be back in business soon.

-- D

Shado1980

Quote from: Doneldon on March 04, 2013, 11:48:07 PM
Shado-

Bachmann doesn't return anything when you send in the warranty card. If the set is only a couple of months old the warranty is still in full effect. It doesn't make any difference what you paid for it; the warranty is good for a year after first purchase. I suggest sending a copy of your receipt even though they should have the information they need. This little detail might save a bunch of headaches later.

You can find the return address on your documentation or elsewhere on this web site.

You should be back in business soon.

Thanks Donelson. I've emailed Bachmann service with my issue, I'll give them until Friday to get back to me. If they haven't by then, I'll call and make arrangements to return the controller for repair or a replacement.

-- D

Shado1980

Just an update,

Bachmann has emailed me and will replace my controller since its still under warranty.  ;D

Thanks everyone for your help with this issue.