News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Roads,sidewalks,etc.

Started by Jerrys HO, March 04, 2013, 05:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

While searching for ways to build roadways and such, I discovered this project from MRH magazine.  This guy does amazing work on this module. You have to go through all pages as there is updates on every page. Also check out the static grass flocker.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/3225

Hope this helps some of you as it has me.
Jerry

If anyone has knowledge to which article he is referring to on the flocker by Kevin of MRH please post info.

Balrog21

I saw a vid on this flocker, Jerry. I'll see if I can dig it up today for ya. Yeah, he has some very impressive scenery skills. His trees are outstanading...Scenic Express Super Trees..must go look these up!

GG1onFordsDTandI

I love the steel plates vs the paved look. Not too common around here, but way cool! 

coupee

Try Micro-Mark 1-800-225-1066 For flocker

GG1onFordsDTandI

Took me a while to find and figure out what a "flocker" was. Very cool gizmo. I would have avoided tall grass due to needing to tease it into upright position. Use of static to achieve this is very cool. The overall effect looks perfect.

ebtnut

At an NMRA clinic, a material call "Sintra" was recommended for making streets and sidewalks.  It is a semi-rigid extruded foam material that comes in various thicknesses, beginning at 1mm.  It is apparently a proprietary product for the sign-making industry.  I tried to get some scraps at a local sign company and they said they weren't allowed to sell any to the public.  Anyone familiar with this material or know where to get some?

Jerrys HO

ebtnut
It's called Coroplast. You can get it at supply stores like the link I provided.

http://www.bestblanks.com/signsubstrates.html

Jerry

rogertra

trouble is that Coroplast has, as it's name implies, corrugations between the outer surfaces and these do tend to show.

I believe that Sintra is the better choice.  That's what I'm going to use as soon as I can find a source.

Failing that, a 2 x 4 foot 60thou sheet of styrene  plastic from the local plastics supply house.  Way cheaper than the small sheets at the hobby store.  For less than the price of a package at the LHS you can get the 2 x 4 sheet.

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on March 20, 2013, 06:32:15 PM
It's called Coroplast. You can get it at supply stores like the link I provided.

Jerry-

Coroplast is a different product. Coroplast is a corrugated sheet only it uses plastic for the components which are paper or cardboard with more familiar corrugated sheets. ebtnut was talking about a solid plastic extrusion.

I have good luck using cardboard (like shirt cardboard) and wet/dry sandpaper. The "wrong" side of pasteboard cardboard is a fairly light gray which has a credible concrete appearance to begin with, and looks very good with cracks, lane markings, washes and tire or oil streaks added. I use the same stuff for sidewalks only I use the "good" side of the cardboard. Two or three pieces spray glued and dried under pressure make a good six- to eight-inch curb. A small ball-shaped burnisher or an empty ball point pen refill make great joints in both streets and sidewalks. A working ball point pen can simulate both the joint and expansion filler. Use washes or chalks to weather and texturize the sidewalks and streets. Small pieces of wood can mark the interior corners of structures so they don't shift out of position even if they aren't glued down. This makes it easy to lift them for cleaning. Use wall-length interior guides for buildings which will be lighted and no light will sneak out under the walls.

Dark gray wet-or-dry paper (like 3M Tri-M-Ite) makes an excellent start for blacktop. Add cracks, washes and chalks, and then put Dull Coat over all. Real sand or flint abrasives can be used for concrete if painted, or a gravel road if very course grades are selected. Again, finish them off with chalks and washes.

-- D

Jerrys HO

QuoteCoroplast is a different product.

OK I do need to read more thoroughly and not just glance at the post.
Since ebt was looking for Sintra which I thought he was looking for a substitute I took the liberty of searching the NET.
I found another site that may be what we were originally looking for.

http://www.foamboardsource.com/sintra-pvc-foam--sintra-pvc-board--sintra-pvc-1-mm.html#.UUrRzhemiAg

Looks like they have great pricing 10 sheets for $6.30. My LHS has 1 sheet for $5.95

Jerry

ebtnut

Jerry:  Thanks for that link.  Very helpful.