News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout Power Supply

Started by Brian1975, March 04, 2013, 02:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian1975

OK everyone:  I am @ the point of the building faze " on my layout " where I need to get a power supply... I have wired the hole layout already & have my wire leads pre-drilled in 6ft section's thoughout layout & ready to sodder leads to track rail's.. I need a power supply that will be able to give me a constant 14 volt's throughout my hole layout " All my Loco's are DDC equiped with sound " I have a NCE power cab controler already I would perfure a power supply from NCE.. but willing to buy any power supply that will LAST & perform well under normal use..

richg

Quote from: Brian1975 on March 04, 2013, 02:07:21 PM
OK everyone:  I am @ the point of the building faze " on my layout " where I need to get a power supply... I have wired the hole layout already & have my wire leads pre-drilled in 6ft section's throughout layout & ready to solder leads to track rail's.. I need a power supply that will be able to give me a constant 14 volt's throughout my hole layout " All my Loco's are DDC equipped with sound " I have a NCE power cab controller already I would procure a power supply from NCE.. but willing to buy any power supply that will LAST & perform well under normal use..

The Power Cab will work out of the box for maybe three sound locos. You cannot add more power to the Power Cab controller using a power supply. The Cab you hold in your hand has a current limit built in.
What else do you plan to run off the DCC? You actually gave us very little info.

If you have more to operate at one time, then you need the Smart Booster which is good for 5 amps. Our club has the Power Pro 5 amp and we have run as many as ten sound locos. I have measured about 3.6 amps. Only two reverser's and nothing else is powered by the DCC.

Rich

Brian1975

Quote from: richg on March 04, 2013, 03:16:54 PM
Quote from: Brian1975 on March 04, 2013, 02:07:21 PM
OK everyone:  I am @ the point of the building faze " on my layout " where I need to get a power supply... I have wired the hole layout already & have my wire leads pre-drilled in 6ft section's throughout layout & ready to solder leads to track rail's.. I need a power supply that will be able to give me a constant 14 volt's throughout my hole layout " All my Loco's are DDC equipped with sound " I have a NCE power cab controller already I would procure a power supply from NCE.. but willing to buy any power supply that will LAST & perform well under normal use..

The Power Cab will work out of the box for maybe three sound locos. You cannot add more power to the Power Cab controller using a power supply. The Cab you hold in your hand has a current limit built in.
What else do you plan to run off the DCC? You actually gave us very little info.

If you have more to operate at one time, then you need the Smart Booster which is good for 5 amps. Our club has the Power Pro 5 amp and we have run as many as ten sound locos. I have measured about 3.6 amps. Only two reverser's and nothing else is powered by the DCC.

Rich

Rich : I have 5 total diesel loco's " Currently 4 are powerd with DCC & Sound "
I also have a 2-6-0 steam loco  " DCC & Sound

I have thought about getting the Power Pro 5... I was thinking with my power cab & the Power Pro 5 should be pleanty of power for my layout...

Doneldon

Brian-

Boosters are one part of a DCC system which can be used with different manufacturers' command stations. So I
suggest letting your fingers do the walking and see what's availale on line and at eBay. Don't feel that you must
get the heaviest duty booster money can buy; five amps is plenty for just about any home layout.

-- D