News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Annie 4-6-0 in 1:20.3 - how to do

Started by Cfra7, March 02, 2013, 10:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cfra7

I have the Bachmann (Connie, K27 and American) all in 1:20.3. Now what I want is a 10 wheeler in 1:20.3 but  Bachmann doesn't make one.  Accucraft does but I love Bachmann products and want to stay with them.  I hear that you can take the Bachmann Annie and replace the cab and smoke stack with slightly larger versions and have an Annie that doesn't look out of place next to the other Bachmann 1:20.3 products.  If this is true, does Bachmann supply replacement cabs and stacks from other 1:20.3 engines that would work?  I wont buy the Anne until I'm sure I can create something in 1:20.3. When i do i plan just to get the unlettered black one.  I know this isn't an easy question, but any help is appreciated.  I'm also willing to pay someone to make the conversion for me if possible.  Thanks

Sleeping Bear

Banta Modelworks sells wood cab conversions for several Bachmann units...their F/G  kits page implies that they are all 1:20.3 ....how ever I don't know for sure that the 10 wheeler cab is that size...there are phone numbers and email address  at the bottom of most pages.....if it turns out that that specific cab isn't the size you want but one of the others looks good to you than make that one fit...I have been thinking about possibly scaling one down to around 1:29 or so...to run with standard guage-ish  stuff...might just put smaller figures on it and call it a prototype ....stack change shouldn't take much work to adapt a bigger stack to your smoke box....how right it looks is how much work you want to do....you could go as far as to build a whole new body/boiler to go on your chassis if you wanted too...

Hope this is at least some help   :-\.....Later All ..... S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Kevin Strong

The cab on the 4-6-0--when measured in 1:20.3--is on par with cabs I've found on other locos, so from a technical standpoint, it could pass as is. Catch is, those locos have smaller-diameter boilers than what's on the 4-6-0. A 1:20.3 engineer would be hard-pressed to fit between the boiler and the side of the cab. Granted those were traditionally very cramped anyway, but even moreso in this instance. So, I'd plan on putting a larger cab on the loco; something on the order of 8' wide would be appropriate. (I think the stock B'mann cab is a bit over 7' wide.) Maybe add a bit of height to it as well.

Next, the stack needs to be longer. If you've got the undecorated black version, you've probably got the straight (shotgun) stack without a cap, so it's already shorter than what was on the prototype ET&WNC loco since the cap ads about 3/8" to the height. A new stack is almost imperative. Accucraft's C-19 stack (if you can get it) would be a good subsititute, or now that Bachmann makes a C-19, maybe they'd have a spare stack, too. Otherwise, I've had success using 5/8" brass tubing with some copper wire soldered to the end as a flare.

The other thing I'd change would be the diameter of the pilot wheels. They scale to about 20" in 1:20.3, which when compared to prototype locos is fairly small for a pilot wheel. Most were in the 24" to 28" range, especially on locos of this particular size and era.

The tender is (in my opinion) a bit low, but nothign that can't be corrected with taller coal boards. I've seen some folks add about 3/8" to the bottom of the tender (cut off from another tender) and it looks pretty good, too.

Those are the changes I'd make to bring the loco more "up to scale."

Later,

K

aspoz

The C-19 stack (in two colours) is advertised on the spares board for the enormous sum of $12.  I haven't got one to compare, but in the photo there it doesn't look that much bigger than the Annie stack.

Kevin Strong

Cool! Nice selection of parts available.

Later,

K