News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bowser Quality?

Started by Jake, August 19, 2007, 02:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Would agree to get super detailing kits for each loco.  I have looked at kits with and without, and am impressed with the amount of precision drilling that is needed.  Too ham fisted to even attempt it.  And I feel it improves the appearances significantly.

Best Wishes, 

Jack

r.cprmier

If you are having courting that much enthusiasm for superdetailing, and feel that you are "hamfisted" as you put it, then maybe an investment in a good precision machine-and there are a lot of them out there; go to Micromark for openers-like a VTM, or a lathe.  I have a real good drill press for now, and if I wanted to really get into this gig, I would go out and find a used Bridgeport "J" head.  This isn't "aircraft quality" stuff, so a tolerance or +/- .002 wouldn't bring the world to an end.

As far a phsyical obstacles, there was a guitar player named Django Reinhart many years back, who had only two good fingers on his left hand (fingerboard), and is to this day, a legendary jazz artist.

I only offer encouragement here, so please do not feel offended.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Woody Elmore

Rich - I too am ham fisted but having worked and a good number of HO engine kits I can tell you that drilling a Bowser or similar boiler is best done with a pin vise or Dremel Tool running on slow. Positioning a boiler in even a small drill press is too much trouble.

jsmvmd

Dear Rich,

Hamfisted would be an overstatement. Rather would prefer to do other things. I am new to the HO game, and disassembled a used Atlas FA/2 today to see how it works. Cleaned and lubed it. Now runs great. Next item is to learn how to do the soldering of small stuff. This is not needed in my day job, just something I want to learn as I grow with this hobby.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Woody Elmore

An Atlas FA-B combination that I bought in the mid seventies are still running on a friend's HO layout. Some of the Atlas engines by Roco were noisy - the E-8/9 comes to mind. With regular lube they will run a long time. There used to be a problem with the wheels moving on the axles and going out of gauge. I fixed that with super glue.

A good way to learn about HO kits is to go to Ebay and bid on an older engine- there are lots of Varney 2-8-0s and 4-6-0s in differenst states of disrepair. Most of the Bowser engines have plans available on the Bowser website. A good hint in doing any disassembly is to mark parts with tape and make a diagram with some notes.

jsmvmd

Dear Woody and Rich,

Much thanks for the info.  Having great fun with this stuff, and meeting really nice people!

On another note, I will be going to the TCA meet in York, PA (I think), in the fall.  If any of our fine forum members want to get together for a cup of Joe and some train chat, please let me know.

Best Wishes,

Jack