some new road names for WBB locos

Started by stationmaster12, March 06, 2013, 07:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stationmaster12

Hey WBB, How about some new road names for the FP45, like;
Wisconsin Central, Great Northen, CSX would look great! or even the new BNSF wedge scheme (my favorite)
Thanks!!
Keep God first in all that you do.

cpkoltz2002

Sounds good.Put the Great Northern in Big Sky Blue.Also the Milwaukee Road,Canadian Pacific and Canadian National would be good also.

tsched

Ok then.. since you said 'locos', let's branch out to other models.

F3:

Canadian National
Chicago & Eastern Illinois
New York Central (cigar band)
Frisco

and where are the Boston & Maine's?   ;D

r0gruth

WbB wants road names that will sell.
Some buyers will not buy a loco that was not used by the named railroad.
Williams sells a very nice Hudson [4-6-4] lettered for the Pennsylvania that
I would not buy because the PRR never had any 4-6-4s [or 2-8-4s either].

Lionel got around this problem by using Lionel Lines and Williams has used Luxury Lines.
Some would call these locos "fantasy" models but to me they are acceptable.
Roger

phillyreading

How about bringing back Reading Lines diesels? Or bringing back Reading Company passenger cars.
What about a new roadname such as; Reading & Northern RR. The 25 year old regional railroad that is growing every year is eastern Pennsylvania?

Lee F.

Juniata Guy

GP-30's in PRR and Reading would be prototypical.  Hopefully we'll see those within the next year.

Curt

stationmaster12

I'll go with some CSX GP-30's in the bright future scheme, or the U33C's in Seaboard Systems. Some Chessie System...seeing a theme here? LOL  even the L&N scheme yellow and gray.
Keep God first in all that you do.

Pa.Railfan

Here's one I've always thought that's been over looked. The Monongahela Paint scheme the Baldwin RF-16's wore which was the NYC Cigar band updated for Monongahela. Not sure if this is a plus but Williams did produce RF-16's in the NYC Cigar band paint and to change to a Monongahela is minor.

Pa.Railfan

TrainmanGene

There's a old saying in Model RR, "This is my Railroad and I'll run what I Like" That's the reason some Railroaders choose fictitious Roadnames for there Road. But I really do agree with r0gruth, I would never buy a Hudson or Berk lettered for the Pennsy, but that's my opinion. I would like to see the Berkshire Lettered for the Boason & Albany which would be correct. But I don't know it it will ever happen, A Scale GG-1 in the as delivered paint scheme #4899.
Sueme Valley System

cpkoltz2002

I understand WBB wants roadnames that will sell.But if a loyal WBB customer can't find what he wants,for example,a Canadian Pacific Golden Beaver livery or a Missouri Pacific Buzzsaw livery, would that drive him to another manufacturer?

M1FredQ

This is not a very big industry and I appreciate that all the manufactures have to be selective of roadnames

BUT

I can see the manufactures selling you a "shell' and some after market business custom painting and marking your shell for you.

Having been involved in plastic model airplane building, I saw so many after market companies come up with great products, acessaries, decals you name it.

There was a fella in our club that used to scratch build his own aircraft and eventually went on to form his own company and manufacture some great aircraft.

I can see this happening with this hobby too!!!

The other alternative is we have to bring more young people into this hobby.

I devote what little spare time i have to getting young boys interested. I have invited Cub Scouts to the house to run trains, we have taken field trips to train museams or train theme parks, and it does work!!

This past Christmas 3 of the boys in my 9 year old 3rd Grade class received Train Sets for Christmas 2 were Bachmann!!!!! It really is up to all of us. In this hobby we all need each other. The video games only go so far. The "bonding' with the train hobby is stronger, emotional, educational and life long.

thumper

I am living on a retiree budget.  So, I allow myself one loco per year.  Almost always choose WBB.  I don't need a loco with every bell and whistle for $1500.  I do feel that midwestern and Canadian roadnames are a little less represented.  I would love more Grand Trunk and Canadian National equipment.  Very little Detroit and Macinaw available.  I love the green, black and yellow colors from GTW and CN, but these are hard to find.  Anything with Michigan Central or Pere Marquette would get my attention.  I still get excited like a little kid when I open my Williams box with loco enclosed.  Love to pick out a passenger or freight consist that is appropriate.  Keep 'em coming!

r0gruth

The body shell from a non Williams loco,even though often copied from Lionel,will probably NOT fit the Williams chassis of the same type of loco.The best bet is probably a repaint of the loco into a scheme that you would like to have.My problem is that WbB already makes probably
a hundred locos I would buy if I could.The same is true of other companies.When I do buy a loco it is after much hand wringing,in depth thought and counting of pennies.
I have three locos with TMCC that are seldom run using TMCC.My eyes are old and the very fine detail that is found on the high priced locos is almost a waste to me.It is nice but I have been very happy with my small roster of twenty locos.I have 7 Lionel[3 with TMCC],3 K-Line,1 Atlas,1 RMT[Beep],8 Williams.
Roger

M1FredQ

Would it be profiitable or do-able for WBB to produce either the engine painted with just

primer or a shell then folks could finish it in the markings they want??

I would only purchase it if I knew someone who could finish it for me. Or I could handle it myself like a Norfolk Southern black or Lehigh Valley red-brown.

It's just an idea so that folks who want the little mentioned rail lines or make up their own rail-lines.

In addition there are those out their who are enterprising and talented who would offer to paint and decal our "shells" for us making themselves a cottage industry business.

WBB could possibly sell more product and everyone is happy.

I wonder if WBB has thought about it. The part to consider in favor of the idea is that WBB

wouldn't have to commit resources on "other" lines they thought may not sell.

Would it lowere the cost of an engine for us?? I don't know only WBB could answer that . I read somewhere that we are seeing less non-powered locomotives because tha cost to produce is about the same as a powered one?!?!? I don't know if that is true or not either?

Overall I like having the Engine or rolling stock all finished and ready to go. My son and I get a real charge and a lot of "Wow-ing" when we open a brand new WBB box.
Just like when that U.P. GP-30 makes it to the house that will be worth me pestering him to get perfect scores on his spelling tests and A's in Math and Science. I let him slide on Social(ist) Studies as I supplement their history knowledge myself.

Happy St Patty's Day!!!

DominicMazoch

What i do not understand is that WBB does not make locomotices which have the basic livery for several railroads:

CGW, MKT, KCS red.

KCS and L&A.

CB&Q and C&S

BN and C&S

SP and SSW, goth in Back widow and red 'n gray.

SP and DRGW, in the grey body Speed Lettering era

Blue B&O and CNJ second generation geeps in dark blue

Southern Railway Family.

I do SP, so stuff in SSW, T&NO, and PE are within my range!