Lil Big Hauler Saddletanker, a few upgrades

Started by vic, March 07, 2013, 02:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vic

Lil Big Hauler Saddletanker, a few upgrades

I know these little buggers are kinda too cutesy for the more 'serious' modellers here , but they do have a lot of potential and they certainly do have charm.

I've gotten busy with other stuff of late, and quite frankly didnt want to bother with bashing the pistons and cylinders like I did with the Bumble Bee version of this engine, so I decided to try something different, an inside frame version of the typical mining engine, like a Bell Locomotive was constructed.

Looks like a bog standard LBH but...

New smokestack, scratched bell and mounting, repainted parts of the body

Popped off the dummy cylinders, re-cut and positioned them under the fore-frame.

Added an air compresser, theres a small tank on the other side

Added a simple backhead details and coal bunker, link/pin couplers F & R

Bachmann did such a nice job on the finish, I just haven't had the heart to repaint it. I wasn't originally going to repaint the boiler but during modifications I smeared Zap onto the upper boiler, by the time I have removed it I permanently marred the surface, so that's why its now black.

The best part is that I can still do the cylinders and siderods later when i feel like it, the mounts are still there and I can do the same way I reworked the Bumble Bee.

Overall a relatively small project, but one that looks very nice to my eye.

on30gn15

Can I blame you for making me spend money on one of these before 2013 is over?
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Loco Bill Canelos

Yeah, me too, I need someone to blame!!  Nice work that is for sure.  Those little critters have turned out to be great fun for the bashers.. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!