Uncoupling HO cars, how to do it???

Started by atan5543, March 08, 2013, 02:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 09, 2013, 04:52:46 PM
I never heard of 18" and 22" radius curves demeaned as "train set curves" before...

jb-

I don't think that any negativity is intended. Train sets do have 18" and 22" radius curves, curves which are not typically the first choice when we build our layouts for rolling stock which doesn't run reliably on tight curves, and we are trying to minimize the toy-like appearance of very tight curves.

I would bet that, even if we eliminated all of the 18" curved track that ships with train sets, 18" radius would still be the most commonly used non-flextrack curve in HO railroading. That's because so many people build layouts on 4'x8' sheets of plywood, or similar, and 18" curves are the only ones which will fit inside of a "full-width" loop like we can get with 22" radius. Throw in the space and clearance issues with which just about all model rails must cope and 18" curves get nailed down an awful lot.

-- D

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 09, 2013, 04:52:46 PM
I never heard of 18" and 22" radius curves demeaned as "train set curves" before...

My apologies, no disrespect meant.  poor choice of words on my part. :(

jbrock27

I hear you Doc and Roger.

I have two SD45s that run great on the 18" radius I have but have always read how running 6 axle locos on 18" should be avoided ;).  I just made sure I gauged all the wheels and they run great.  I will be incorporating some 22" on my new layout.  I never used flex track for fear of making a radius too tight. 
Speaking of tight radius, I came across a guy on EBAY who was selling 12" radius Atlas snap track.  At first I did not believe it, thinking 15" radius was the tightest they made, but a picture of the underside of the track proved the advertising.  What the heck runs on 12" radius.

Roger, saw the video of your layout-looks great!  What happened with your turntable issue?  Get a new one?   
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 10, 2013, 09:20:39 AM

Roger, saw the video of your layout-looks great!  What happened with your turntable issue?  Get a new one?   

Ended up buying a new one but I'm not 100% satisfied with it.

It's more difficult to program than the original and version.

The programming and how they've numbered the stopping places is not intuitive and doesn't make sense from a model railroad point of view.

It's supposed to be DCC but half was around the circle the audio cuts out as they've wired the pick ups for the bridge with a split ring to accommodate DC users.

The instructions are crap and contain at least one major error.

But once you've got it set up and understand the strange programming it operates really well and looks good.

Doneldon

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 10, 2013, 09:20:39 AM
I have two SD45s that run great on the 18" radius I have but have always read how running 6 axle locos on 18" should be avoided ;).  I just made sure I gauged all the wheels and they run great. 

I never used flex track for fear of making a radius too tight. 

What the heck runs on 12" radius.

jb-

No six-axle locomotives on 18" radius curves is just one of many rules in model railroading that prove to have exceptions. That's because more factors than simply the number of axles influence what can make it around a given curve. As you discovered, ensuring that things are in gauge makes a difference. The length of the loco and the wheelbase of the trucks themselves also make a difference.

Use a nail and string or a nail and yardstick to draw your curves and you won't make flextrack too tightly curved. There are also templates which you can purchase or make, or you can use a couple of lengths of sectional track as a guide.

Twelve-inch radius? Not a lot runs on this other than small industrial locomotives, very short rolling stock and streetcar/trolley kinds of vehicles.

-- D

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On