News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Connie wiring

Started by julian wilson, August 19, 2007, 12:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

julian wilson

I would love to find a schematic for the Connie but specifically need to know the functions of the wires on the two-wire plug and four-wire plug going from the engine to the tender.  Thanks.  J

Jake

Why do you need to know the functions?
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Matthew (OV)

The two wire pickup is the chuff contact for an aftermarket sound system.

The four wire plug is two wires for the rear headlight, and two for the transfer of power from the tender wheel track pickups to the locomotive.

Need help with anything?

Matthew (OV)

gbbari

Quote from: Matthew (OV) on August 19, 2007, 07:31:06 PM
The two wire pickup is the chuff contact for an aftermarket sound system.

The four wire plug is two wires for the rear headlight, and two for the transfer of power from the tender wheel track pickups to the locomotive.

Need help with anything?

Matthew (OV)

Not trying to thread-jack Julian but Matt seems to have the answers here..  Matt - does this mean that it is a simple task to install a sound card into the tender - since the chuff 'signal' is already provided and power is available via the tender wheels?

-GB

Matthew (OV)

Well... depends on what you mean by "Simple"  ;D 

The tender has power inside already, and the chuff timer (at a prototypical four beats per 360 degree turn of the drivers) is already there for you, so adding something like a Sierra or Phoenix is ... well, simplified anyway.

As long as you can follow the instructions in the box, you've already got your power and chuff run for you.... it's just a matter of hooking up the rest of it ... switches, charge jack (sierra), programming jack (P-nix 2K2) ... but after a Shay or even a 45 tonner, the tender shell is cavernous! 

SCRY #8 is currently on the bench having this very procedure done with a Soundtraxx Sierra system.  If I can be of help, certainly ask.

Matthew (OV)

gbbari

Sounds like merely properly identifying and then getting the chuff wires, the power wires, and the speaker wires connected to the correct pins on the sound module. Plus mounting the speaker. If there is room, that all seems fairly elementary.  What am I forgetting?  ???

Curmudgeon

Not forgetting anything, just remember to remove the 2-wire circuit board, solder 2 chuff wires to it, mount your external volume control (on r/c jobs, I put on/off and volume in the front wall.....there is a trick to it), then find the 4 screws on top of the floor with wires going to them.
Follow the wires from the trucks to determine which 2 screws are track power (the reason I say that is I have seen no consistency here), connect wires there for your track inputs on your sound system.
Remember to mount a speaker.

If a 2K2, I mount the program port through the floor, since you will have the tender off the track and at your computer anyway for re-programming.

TOC

gbbari

Quote from: Curmudgeon on August 22, 2007, 12:02:18 AM
Not forgetting anything, just remember to remove the 2-wire circuit board, solder 2 chuff wires to it, mount your external volume control (on r/c jobs, I put on/off and volume in the front wall.....there is a trick to it), then find the 4 screws on top of the floor with wires going to them.
Follow the wires from the trucks to determine which 2 screws are track power (the reason I say that is I have seen no consistency here), connect wires there for your track inputs on your sound system.
Remember to mount a speaker.

If a 2K2, I mount the program port through the floor, since you will have the tender off the track and at your computer anyway for re-programming.

TOC

Thanks TOC!  I am sure this will make sense when I get inside the tender - have not touched it yet.  I have read your comments before about wiring inconsistencies so I was alerted to that.

I don't yet know if I will be installing R/C in this loco or ESU or Massoth decoder.

A train store close to me stocks the 2K2's - and I read a lot of good opinions about them in the forums - so that will most likely be my choice for the Connie.

I went a bit nuts and bought a new 38T Shay, Climax, and Heisler over the past two months so this is just the start..  ;D

-GB