News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

J Class tender coupling

Started by Vidshooter, February 22, 2013, 08:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vidshooter

I am having trouble with my Bachmann J class engine-tender coupling.
The coupling jerks a lot when the engine rounds a curve - more specifically as it comes out of the curve.
It often throws the tender off the track.
I've checked it but  - apart from the design of the thing - I can't see anything wrong.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Is there a solution - other than making a rigid bar coupling?

Thanks

utdave

i gave up on mine  so i made a draw bar coupler like other bachmanns loco to tenders .     
you have the answer from yourself.
Dave

bobwrgt

Make sure the wires are not getting hung up. Look for plastic flashing where it slides. Give it some lube.  Add weight to front of tender.

Bob

Doneldon

Vid-

Watch your loco very carefully and see if it isn't the wires between their loco and tender which are causing
the problem. It's a common issue, unlike the problem you describe which is new to me. Sometimes it helps
to form the wires into a vertical loop so they sort of twist rather than bend. Adding a little weight to the front
of the tender, right over the drawbar, also helps.

-- D

hawaiiho

You didn't say what the radius of the curve is that you have, if not the wires, then have a look  at this.

I have found the 26" radius  works fine, but my 22" oval is problematic.

Will

utdave

Heres the draw bar on that j class
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_89&products_id=198

its called a J bar   the trouble with this bar it hangs up in the slots.  also you have tender and loco connected and hard to put on the rails  as to those with just a straight draw bar  from loco and a peg on tender .
when you corner charper curves and goes back to striaght the tender likes to stay in curve position  the j connector hangs up in its slots   i have done the lube and the wires were not the issue.   since ive redone mine j class loco  i havent had one bit of trouble with the tender  derailing .  also the j bar dont much flexing up and down .  and now i can use any tender bachmann has with the proper wire leads.        i have some 22" in my yard and no promblems there also and even made it through my  s curve on a parking rail .

i think that  J draw bar was a bad idea and thats why they dont use them anymore  ;D

Dave

Vidshooter

Thanks for all the replies.
I ended up making a rigid coupling - like all my other Bachmann.  Made it out of brass and it works fine.