News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman reversing trolley

Started by Vince007, March 10, 2013, 08:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince007

I just bought a brand new Bachmann reversing trolley set at a train show. The trolley does not reverse. It goes to the end and stays there. I've checked everything.

Vince

utdave

i am going to buy one of these reversing track systems   i havent yet .  but what i do know theres a bumper on the end when hit and changes the top rail polarites from + to -    thers a set of wires underneath the ez track that connects the end bumpers togather  and switches the polairty on the tracks .    ok        so question frist   did you turn your trolly around and did it go back and stop the other way ?    if it did  i think you might have a bad connection underneath on the tracks .   if the loco goes one way on a dc system it should go both ways  when polairty changes.
  next question would be  do you own a voltage tester   check and see if you have voltage to the tracks  then hit the bumper and see if it changes the polaity .

if anybody else know a little abount this or what they have found  but this is what i would do frist .
dave

GG1onFordsDTandI

Ive read there is more than one Bachmann auto reverse system, one uses the bumpers to reverse +&- the other uses electronic detection of some type. I was not able to determine exactly what the trigger is based on, light detection?, isolated block?, etc..   Color of the shed (if included) was one determining factor. Im interested in these systems but it doesnt seem like there is not alot of info floating about. How about some nitty gritty details as this thread moves along, to help us all understand and determine whats what as far as the different builds go?  

Loco Bill Canelos

Regrettably I no longer have the instructions for this, but the gaps have to be just right, I recommend moving this to G Scale as someone there might remember the tricks.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Satnik

Dear Vince,

Welcome to the board. 

Please give the Bachmann item number of your set.  Should be 5 digits long.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

GG1onFordsDTandI

I thought these were small scale only sets? :o
Most if not all of the older posts Ive read where in general, HO and On30
I searched- auto reverse, then auto reverse bumpers -I avoided reading "dc reversing loop systems" which I know can be used to reverse, but I think that its own thing. Just a reversing modual. Dont the trolley sets have a throttle or stop time controller, but not both, depending on the set?

Loco Bill Canelos

Sorry Joe, but the set never had a Bachmann number. It does have the Dillard's Number

It was a limited run for Dillard's Department stores we think in 1993, but we do not know for sure.

747694   None   None   1993?   Street Car   Trolley, North Pole ( musicial, auto-rev )         X   metal wheels

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cp8vjhlpigqh2dv/Dillards%20%20%20Trolley.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqeu0ghl2tkqdvh/Dillards%20%20Trolley.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atgkl6fdgumw1zp/Dillards%20Trolley%20open%20box%20cropped.jpg

It was a christmas set with the trolley that ran back and forth on an auto reverse set up, all while playing Christmas songs.  It was never in the catalog and never run for anyone else.  I had one I sold and I still have one sealed in the box which I am not willing to open as I feel it is collectible. 

I am hoping that someone has the instructions and can post them.  the one I had worked fine, but my memory is that it had to be set up just right, and worse I just can't remember it it was so long ago. 

Jose Morais

Hi Vince.

There is an older topic about this set in this forum (Topic: Dillard's Christmas trolley). The direction change is controlled by magnets placed on the track, and direction control is done inside the tram itself by a circuit activated by a reed switch; polarity on the track never changes. Are the magnets on your set correctly placed near the end bumpers?

Hope this helps.

Jose Morais
Headmaster of the CFLF

Headmaster, CF da Lapa Furada, Portugal

GG1onFordsDTandI

BILL, JOE, JOSE- Your combined knowledge on scale trains and history is inspiring. Please dont stop there!   

Loco Bill Canelos

Vince look at the link recommended by Jose. it is:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18559.msg149710.html#msg149710

Scroll down to Wade Colyer's second response and let us know how you make  out. 

We owe it to Jose for remembering that post!!!