Couplers to replace on old Tyco cars

Started by BigJim, March 14, 2013, 05:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJim

I have some old Tyco rolling stock that doesn't want to connect very well or fast to new rolling stock. Can anyone tell me if I can easily remove the old couplers and add new ones? If so, what coupler types work best?

richg

There is a HO forum, by the way.

There is no best, only what works best for you.

I mostly use Kadee but there are different types in the Kadee line.
The #5 are over size for one thing.
I used the Kadee 711 old time couplers for my old Tyco and Bachmann old time cars. They are more to scale.
All I had to do was cut off the truck mounted couplers.
I use a couple 0-8-0 screws for attaching. Sometimes a single 2-56 screw but it is easy to put the screw in too tight and bind the coupler.
The Kadee site has all the info you need.
The couplers used on Bachmann cars are pretty good.
Sergent Engineering couplers are good also.

Others here will have comments on what they use.

Rich

Jhanecker2

Big Jim : If your Tyco cars  are equipped with the old  " horn hook " couplers  , these can be removed and replaced . The question becomes " How much work you are  willing to do on your upgrade ? "  "Knuckle couplers"  manufactured  by Bachmann or also By Kadee  are available to replace your existing couplers .  If your coupler boxes  are mounted to the   trucks  or 'talgo' style you will  be able to replace the coupler directly , but you will need a coupler height gage to  determine  whether the couplers  will interface with your other rolling stock .  Height gages are available  at Kadee's web sight and also at  Micro-Mark  . Converting to frame mounted coupler boxes is more complicated but still doeable . The main advantage of frame mounted is that they are more proto-typical  and they allow for  backing up the cars without decoupling .  The talgo mounts  allow for greater ability to operate over the much tighter  turning radii  of our unprototypically  layouts .  If you search  this forum there are several excellent postings  of the process of conversion .   A good number of people  swear by the  Kadee  # 5  as  one of the premier replacements , but check with Kadee for their recommendations.  I Hope this  begins to answer  your question , there is a lot of information out there . Good Luck   J2.