News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Decoder for K-27 & Baldwin 2-6-6-2

Started by TrevorMcAlister, March 16, 2013, 11:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevorMcAlister

Hi
I am trying to find DCC sound decoders that are compatible with the K-27 & Baldwin 2-6-6-2 plug n play socket, without needing any modification to loco or decoder.

I was looking at the SoundTraxx Tsunami 826610 TSU-BA4000 (not out yet) that is being built for the C-19.
Does anyone know if the plug n play socket on the C-19 is both physically & electrically the same as the K-27 & Baldwin 2-6-6-2.

Also does anyone know the speaker size that the K-27 & Baldwin 2-6-6-2 was designed to take.

Trevor

Ron Tremblay

I belive QSI will have what your looking for And i think it is a 3" speaker. Regards, Ron

TrevorMcAlister

Hi
The QSI Titan Bachmann-6 was the other decoder that would fit the plug n play socket of the K-27 & Baldwin 2-6-6-2, but it's a bit costly at £165 ($248) compared to the SoundTraxx's TSU-BA4000 which is listed for pre-order at $110.
Do you know if the QSI Titan Bachmann-6 also fit the C-19
Trevor

Red26

I know that QSI list decoders for Large scale but are they actually available or are they still having problems with them? It's just that you don't see anyone posting anything about them on any of the forums.

Bucksco

Haven't tried it yet but the upcoming SoundTraxx decoder for the C-19 should work without any problems. As soon as we receive them which should be in the next few weeks I will test one. The prototype is very nice and has great volume.

TrevorMcAlister

Thanks Yardmaster for the info, I look forward to see the test results.
It taken me some time to identify which decoders have the same plug n play socket as the C-19, K-27 & Baldwin 2-6-6-2, it would be really good if Bachmann listed all locos that use the same socket and which decoders are compatible.

Bucksco

The 21 pin non-proprietary interface board has been included on all Spectrum 1:20.3 locos from the K-27 forward (K-27, 2-6-6-2, Forney, Climax, C-19). Any Spectrum 1:20.3 loco from this point forward will include the interface. This information is included in the specs for these locos in our catalog. So far the only sound specific boards produced by SoundTraxx are for the Climax and the C-19. QSI, ESU and Digitrax(non-sound) produce large scale decoders with the 21 pin plug arrangment. Bachmann also includes an adapter 21 pin board for use with any large scale decoder that doesn't have the 21 pin arrangment thus the term "non-proprietary".
Aristo's Revolution R/C system will also plug right in. Provision is made for battery power. So, in effect any large scale decoder, sound board or radio/battery system will work with this interface without the need to touch the wiring in the loco. All the wiring is brought into the interface in the tender making installation of command systems a breeze.

TrevorMcAlister

Hi
I was wondering if there has been any news on the SoundTraxx's TSU-BA4000 and whether tests have shown it's completely compatible with other Spectrum locos with the same 21 pin plug as the C-19.
Back in March you were expecting pre-production/production examples any week, have these proved successful.
I only ask because the SoundTraxx's website still says available in early 2013 but we are nearly into July now, I can only assume there was a production problem that has delayed the decoder coming to market.
Perhaps you can shed some more light on the matter.
Trevor

Kevin Strong

I spoke to Soundtraxx about a month ago, and they were making some tweaks to the board and expected to have it in production fairly soon thereafter. I haven't heard anything since, but I haven't contacted them again, either.

To my understanding, it will be compatible with any socket-equipped locomotive, but remember that with the K-27, the chuff sensor wiring was inverted, so you'll have to wire in a transistor to switch it so the board will recognize the chuff triggers. That's just for the K-27, and the circuit is somewhere on Bachmann's web site, though I forget where exactly.

Later,

K