News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Keep alive in Bachmann engine

Started by Mike, March 16, 2013, 01:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Does anyone have experience with a TCS keep alive device installed in a Bachmann dcc engine? If so, any advice for a newby?

richg

Look at the TCS site. All the instructions are there which are not difficult if you understand the basics of DCC.

Rich

Mike

Thanks, Rich. I guess what I was looking for is some feedback from a user to see if it works as well as claimed. It sure would be nice to not have a sound unit shut down and restart every time it hits a bad spot on the track.

richg

This is very new here. Don't forget, this is a Bachmann discussion forum and too much discussion of other brands and the thread is deleted.
Bachmann favors SoundTraxx decoders.
A couple other DCC Groups are discussing it but realize this is quite a new device.
Grab the below link before someone deletes it.

http://tinyurl.com/d4fakzn

Most times a search of the Internet will provide you with much more info than you could ever get here with many links to store in Favorites.

Rich

Mike

For what it is worth, I am a long time supporter and purchaser of Bachmann products. For my money they are the best on the market. That is why I own in excess of 90 of them, and I intend to continue to purchase from Bachmann. I mean no disrespect. I am only asking for opinions on an addition that might help the operation of my locos on some of my less than perfect track work.  Thanks for the links.

jward

I have a keep alive on order. I intend to try it out in either Thomas or a usra 0-6-0. I will let you know how they work out. if it can keep me from having to install tender wheel pickups it will have been worth it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

the Bach-man

Dear All,
There's nothing wrong with this discussion- feel free to continue.
What will be removed are "use this, not that" type comments.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jward

thanks bach-man for the clarification.

I"ve always believed that most of the non-Bachmann products discussed here are being used to enhance Bachmann's products. in this way we raise the bar, and maybe open the eyes of a few friends who still haven't gotten that Bachmann builds a good train at a reasonable price.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Quote from: jward on March 19, 2013, 08:54:39 AM
open the eyes of a few friends who still haven't gotten that Bachmann builds a good train at a reasonable price.

Jeff-

Absolutely! Bachmann offers an affordable product line which looks good and operates reliably. There are competitors who do an equally good job but none of them offers the broad range of models and other goods that Bachmann has. And many manufacturers' merchandise is a whole lot more expensive, without the substantial increase in quality or detail which such price differences should buy.

I believe that Bachmann and a few of the smaller, similar companies are what keep this hobby alive. Many of us would be priced out of the market if we had to pay brass prices for every loco, build all of our structures from Bar Mills kits, and use complicated, expensive controls like some of the other DCC systems. I'm not knocking other manufacturers here -- it's great to have the options they offer -- but it would be hard for many of us to afford those "luxury lines" if we had to build our layouts without some good quality products at down-to-earth prices.

Thank you, Bachmann. We pick on you here about service or items we think you should make, but I think I speak for a number of posters in saying that we appreciate your commitment to our hobby and the quality of your products.

-- D

K487

Donaldon:

Per your post above - I was thinking along those lines the other day.  Well said and I agree 100%.

K487