DC to DCC : DCC locomotive does'nt recognize DCC ? SOLVED (cause: high voltage)

Started by wekke, March 13, 2013, 08:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wekke

Hi,

Can someone please assist?

I have two DC + DCC locomotives (Atlas gold series GP40 10 000 624 and Walthers proto 2000 E7A 920-40548) Both have factory fitted QSI quantum Q1a sound decoder.

Previously they ran on an analog track controlled by QARC DC Quantum Engineer, it worked great, also the sounds.

But when I place them on a DCC layout (Bachmann Dynamis ez command), they immediately start giving the high-voltage alarm (repeated horn blowing), and won't move.
I did a decoder reset on both, with the magic wand. Are they stuck in analog thereby misreading the continuous dcc track voltage?  What am I doing wrong?

The bachmann dynamis works fine, because if I place a Roco dcc locomotive with a ESU Loksound 4 decoder on the track, all works fine.

Is the problem that I used the 2 other loc's analog first? If so, what do I do so they "know" they are now on a DCC track?

Thanks,
Wekke

CNE Runner

Having read through the manual for my Gold Series Atlas MP 15-DC, I see where it mentions that, if the track voltage exceeds 21.5 volts, the horn continues to 'hoot'. May I start by saying: 1) I am by far not an expert in DCC programing, and 2) I have not experienced this problem on any of my sound-equipped locomotives.

Firstly, the Quantum Sound Decoder requires more track voltage than your controller can supply (this is true of almost all sound decoders). Therefore you will have to use a separate programming track (I use a Soundtraxx PTB-100 Programming Track Booster to program all my DCC locomotives...off the layout).

Since you are having troubles with your controller, have you considered using another controller? Perhaps you could borrow a friend's or go to your LHS?
If that is not possible:
   - turn the power off for at least 15 seconds - then turn on again...does that solve the problem?
   - if not, locate the reed switch area on your particular locomotive:
         - turn off the power
         - place the Magnetic Wand over the reed switch area and apply power
         - leave the wand in position until you hear the word "reset".

Again, if you can't perform these tasks with your controller, you will have to procure another. Don't dispair as I'm sure other, more experienced DCC modelers, will add their valuable comments and suggestions.

Hang in there,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jward

have you tried a manual reset on the programming track? actually enter the cv reset numbers into the controller rather than use the wand. does that help at all?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

wekke

Bingo!

Very weird: I noticed all the sound functions did work correctly (for example: diesel engine sound revs up, functions keys do control lights, bells, etc...).  Just the "high track voltage alarm" sounding the horn and preventing it from moving.
Exactly the same thing happened, with my old DC power pack, which - when turned all the way up - produced too much voltage: more then 12 V, more like 16 or 17.

That got me thinking: try to lower track voltage just a little bit, by adding some load, and see what happens. So I placed a second locomotive on the track.  And it all suddenly worked perfectly. Horn alarm stopped and engines ran fine.

Please note the "track" is just a small test loop for the moment, just to test the controller and locomotives.  Maybe it will be solved automatically on a larger track with more voltage drop. Either that or the 2 locomotives with the QSI cards are going into high voltage alarm way to soon, at 15-16 V instead of 21.

I'll measure the actual track voltage tomorrow, my voltage meter is out in the garage and it's freezing, I'm not going outside now, haha ;-)

But at least its working; if all else fails I'll just remember to put an extra locomotive on the track somewhere, when using these locomotives.
Now I can get back to programming my preferences, since I just reset about everything I have, to factory defaults ;-) haha

Thanks for the advice, and I hope this explanation may help others someday.

Cheers,
Werner

CNE Runner

'Glad things worked out for you Werner. At least you know it isn't the locomotive. I have been very satisfied with my MRC Prodigy Advanced DCC controller (I figured you already realized that there are some serious 'issues' with your present controller). The MRC does everything I ask...no, it isn't as 'top shelf' as the Digitrax or NCE units - but it doesn't cost as much either.

Thanks for getting back to us as, personally, I have not experienced what you have. "To be forewarned is to be forearmed."

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

wekke

Thanks. I'm not really an expert on the DCC subject, but I wanted something to reprogram some basic CVs, and, importantly: was affordable.  The only dislike I have (so far) is the fact that dynamis does not read CV values from the unit. They have an extra add-on box for that, but I'm not spendeing all that extra cash for that...

My 'workaround' for that - if I need the have a starting point - is to just look up the information on the decorder manufacturer's website. For my Loksound controlled GM-NOHAB, for example, I downloaded the programmming software and the decoder project data, available at their website. Even though I can't connect it to my track, I can use it to see all factory settings, which is a great starting point to start fiddling with the settings. QSI's website has helped me for the 2 engines mentioned earlier.

I would have gone for a more elaborate controller, allowing hookup to PC and change sounds & stuff ; if it wasn't al so expensive... wow! ;-)   Dynamis is good enough for what I need, controlling my DCC engines and changing the occasional CV setting now & then, and I do like the controls on it. If I ever actually want to change a sound file, it'll be cheaper to go to model train shop

What are the MRC's advantages regarding programming?