News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Heisler Problem

Started by J R Barnes, March 17, 2013, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J R Barnes

???  Put my new Heisler on the track and it won't run properly.  When I apply DCC, it starts creeping along.  I have no control, just moves ahead very slowly.  I put it on the programming track and I can read and write CVs.  I reset CV8 to 8 as instructed but nothing changed.  Don't have sound mod installed.  If I gently rock the engine back and forth. the headlight blinks occasionally but this is all.  Any thoughts?

J k Barnes
Plano, TX
Jerry Barnes
Conductor-Fireman (Retired)
Grapevine Vintage Railroad

the Bach-man

Dear R,
Return the loco to your dealer for replacement.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

railtwister

Hi J R (or is it J k?)

Returning it to the dealer is the best way to go, assuming the dealer is local and he has more in stock that you can test run before taking the replacement home.

However, if returning it to the dealer involves shipping, you might try contacting Soundtraxx first, since the problem sounds like it is with the decoder. They should have more experience with their decoder boards than anyone else, and should know from your description of the problem if there is an easy fix you can try at home before having to pack it up go through the aggravation of having to ship it back.

Bill in FtL

J R Barnes

Thanks Folks, I got it from Micro-Mark so will try them first........................J R
Jerry Barnes

Bucksco

Just curios as to what type of transformer/control system you are using....

J R Barnes

;D  Thanks to Jamie at Soundtraxx, I got it running.  CV29 was set to analog on, a 6.  Changed it to 2 which is analog off.  Maybe they tested it at the factory in analog and left it.  I am using an original Digitrax Zephyr DCS 50 with a booster Yardmaster.  Thanks again for your help folks.......
Jerry Barnes

Stevelewis

Glad  its  sorted,  jamie  is  very  helpful,  no doubt  you  have  made  the  lights  work  correctly  now?
i.e. directional  and  with   the dimming  facility  enabled.

If not see my  eaarleir  postings  which  give the CV settings to achieve this
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

railtwister

Quote from: J R Barnes on March 19, 2013, 12:01:00 PM
;D  Thanks to Jamie at Soundtraxx, I got it running.  CV29 was set to analog on, a 6.  Changed it to 2 which is analog off.  Maybe they tested it at the factory in analog and left it.  I am using an original Digitrax Zephyr DCS 50 with a booster Yardmaster.  Thanks again for your help folks.......

Hi JR,

Glad to hear you got with Jamie at Soundtrax and got everything working. Anyone having problems with their Tsunami decoders should check with Soundtrax first, before going through the hassle and expense of returning an item to a dealer or Bachmann, because it's very likely they can get you up & running (plus, a phone call is cheaper and a lot faster than UPS, FedEx, or USPS).

Bill in FtL

J R Barnes

Well I am running well but no sound.  Jamie sent me some info but it didn't work.  I don't know if it is the engine or the sound decoder.  The decoder seems to be accepting CV writes and reads but nothing works.  Jamie thinks it might be the engine or speaker but I have no idea how to check.  Any more ideas folks?  For Steve
my headlight works fine but I can't get the backup light reinstalled because the wire is too short to allow me to push the sockets on the led pins, so I have left it off for the present.

Jerry Barnes

mabloodhound

Uh, Jerry, you got the loco on the 17th without the sound board.
Did you already get the new board and install it?
???
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

railtwister

Jerry,
Have you tried running the the wires around the side of the sound board instead of up the back? I've also heard that some have needed to shorten the pins the wires plug onto (by about 1/8") to get enough slack to reach. Some others have had the same problem with short wires while others haven't.

Bill in FtL

J R Barnes

I ordered the engine and sound board from Mico-Mark.  The sound board came immediately but the engine just showed up.  I got the engine running first then installed the sound board.  No sound, Jamie sent me some info but it didn't work and said the board was from B'mann, not them.  I sent an email to service on 3-22 but have heard nothing.  I want to have the sound decoder checked to see if it is ok, if so, it is my engine, if not it is the board.  I have no way of checking as I can only plug the sound decoder into the Heisler.  Maybe Mr. Bachmann can can help. Railtwister, I haven't tried moving the connector wire, want to get the sound working first then tackle that problem.  Thanks for your comments folks..........
Jerry Barnes

Bucksco

Two quick things to check:
is the sound board in the correct orientation - look at the instructions and make sure it is right side up going in the proper direction (use the two large silver capacitors as a guide).
Make sure you have not accidentally triggered function 8 (sound off).

One other thing about the sound module. The decoder in the engine needs to be set at factory defaults for the sound board to "link up" with it when it is installed. CVs can be changed after installation but the initial set up has to be done while it is set to the factory defaults. If you have played with CV values before installing the sound module or after removing it  reset CV8 to a value of 8. This may not apply in this case but I thought it should be mentioned.

If it still does not work call the service depatments direct number (215) 533-1600 and ask for the service manager.

J R Barnes

Thanks Yardmaster, as you can see from info above, i have changed several CVs on the engine before I installed the sound board.  I will try the reset and see what
happens. I believe the board isinstalled correctly, but cant see the pins as they are below the board.  Will check again.............
Jerry Barnes

Bucksco

Sounds like you need to restore the factory defaults....