News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tsunami decoder in On30 2-8-0

Started by dmaryol, August 20, 2007, 12:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmaryol

Plan to install the tsunami decoder into the 2-8-0.  Is this a simple plug and play (does the loco have a pin socket)  Thanks

David(UK)

Why don't you open it up and have a look - after all that's what some of us would have to do to answer your question?
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

finderskeepers

I'll try to be a little more helpful on this than the last poster..
have a look at http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/of_sound/
it includes pictures of installing the tsunami decoder in the 2-8-0.
http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/of_sound/

David(UK)

Oh come on!
That sort of question should have been easily established by the asker in the time he took to run up his PC, find this site and then type the question out and wait for an answer.
I'll say no more.
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

kendoitall

Quote from: David(UK) on August 24, 2007, 05:29:32 AM
Oh come on!
That sort of question should have been easily established by the asker in the time he took to run up his PC, find this site and then type the question out and wait for an answer.
I'll say no more.

David, please.

He didn't say he owned one, merely that he planned to install a decoder in the 2-8-0.

I have been wondering about some of the HO locos which I am thinking of using for future On30 projects. But of course, I would not consider purchasing all of them just to pry them apart to see if "DCC-ready" is what I hope it means - an installed DCC 8 pin plug. Manufacturers are not always honest about advertised features. I don't know about retailers near Leeds, but our local train retailers do not like people to even open boxes, much less allow customers to tear their merchandise apart out of curiosity.

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

kenruof

The 2-8-0 has an 8 pin socket but the Tsunami does not have a plug so you would have to do some work to get it installed.

Ken

jnichols

This installation takes about 15 minutes to do, and is as straight forward as a sound system installation in a model can be. My suggestion would be to pick up a 8 pin NMRA to 9 pin JST harness for the Tsunami so that you can plug the decoder in with no modifications to the existing harness. Digitrax and several other DCC companies sell these and they are very inexpensive.

Good luck!
Jeff - The Train Shoppe